Metric is an Imperial Nightmare - No Standard in sheet sizes FML

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by FIXMAKEBUILD, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Lucky you hadn't built the studs before the OSB arrived or you'd be stuffed... or waste time manually cutting them down.

It is sloppy by the supplier to send different sized boards in one batch. Good suppliers get this right.

If the two thicknesses are different plan sizes is that going to be a problem?

2. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

and its ok to use it on my workshop in your oppinion? i mean its internal in as much as its going to be sheeted with osb3 which i read is moisture resistant, then i have a tyvek house wrap which im waiting for then either a composite siding or ship lap depending on whether i am prepared to sacrifice some beer for a less maintenance intensive siding the workshop wont be heated initialy but i plan to have rockwool insulation all through

3. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

i be really upset if the framing was done already thats for sure, but at least im meticulous enough to take note of these things and not take it for granted. trimming the OSB down isnt a huge problem but because im using 9mm for the outside walls just to give some sheer structure and 18mm for the roof i was somewhat surprised the two thicknesses came in different dimension to what was ordered. sry im a few stellas in now so im not sure im making proper sense

4. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

There will be waste from the 18mm roofing OSB for sure, i have to go with 600mm centres because of the 9mm OSB being 1200 x 2400 so making the studwork 600 OC makes sense and then trim the roofing ones down to match, its a mild aggravation but its all here at least and in the grand scheme of things i feel quite lucky to have the materials at all, i hear alot of tradesmen are struggling to get any materials on time

5. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

The blocks i had laid professionally because i didn't trust my skills and im glad i did the guy was awesome and the dimensions are just about perfect, but he said he had to order the blocks specially because none of the suppliers by me had them.

6. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

I have a question i am yet to research, I have one man door and one car entrance in the building and i was wondering what kind of header i need to build above these? currently i have a single "2x4" above each entrance, do i need to reinforce these with extra timber?

Also do i need to brace between the stud work? sorry if im getting the terminology wrong? the studs will be 1838mm in length will i need to brace them inbetween or is it common practice to have that length without bracing? just thinking it be easier to put insulation without bracing but if it needs it i will happily put it in

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hire a Paslode nailgun and build your walls as frames on the floor then lift them into position. Use a double head and soleplate, reason being you fix one soleplate to the block work first to spread the eventual weight and it enables easy levelling, and the double head plate spreads the roof weight throughout. Use 90mm gun nails to fix the studs to the head and sole plates, chemical anchor and threaded bar for the soleplate to block work, and 51mm gun nails to fix the sheathing to walls and roof. Fix the sheathing on the roof the other way, tying all the rafters together lengthways. Use screws to fix the structure together temporarily, but don't waste your time and money using them.

8. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

Wow thanks for that, I have been trying to find a place the hires those but i would need to drive almost an hour to get one and they are really expensive even for a few days, i did consider buying one but honestly this is a one time deal so i decided against it, My plan is to use 75mm bright nails i think they are called and hammer them in manually its not high tech i know lol, i am planing to use tanalised 4x2 as a sill plate with a plastic thing underneath it and i have got 150mm concrete fixing screws? i will drill the sill plate on and use those to fix it? then like u said build the frame lying down and lift it and screw it into the sill plate.

I hadnt figured to use extra on the "header" plate but i will now you said it, it makes sense to have extra support up there. Thankyou so much Jord this project is starting to overwhelm me a little, so much to think about so your advise is invaluable.

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Your sheathing on the outside walls of OSB or whatever is the bracing required, no need for noggins. The header depends on the span but a doubled up 6x2 or thereabouts would probably be ok.

10. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

I have to say the guy that did the block work was increadable, i put a 6x2 across the width and use a 6ft level and it was spot on which im really happy about, the block-work is dimensionally perfect i couldnt have asked for more he was worth every penny. the poor guy has a stent in his arm from a heart attack a month ago and he is on the tools like a pro, had to encourage him to eat the sandwiches the crazy one made him and copious amounts of tea just to slow him down lol

11. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

thanks so much i had no idea if it was needed, i kinda figured the osb external sheeting would add the strength needed but i was unsure. i will definitely use 6x2 in my headers, i have plenty left over from the form work for the slab so for sure will use that as at least one of the trusses falls on the man door opening. i will use it on the car door entry to as i hope to put some kinda automatic roller door malarky in there

feel like we should be sitting having a pint and me taking notes lol. thanks dude your input is very well received

12. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

and i learnt a new terminology "noggins" im gonna use that every day lmao

13. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

upload_2020-9-10_21-42-49.png
    Does this look ok as far as the corners go? i put 2 there so that i have an internal corner to attach some internal sheeting to, ignore the 599 measurement google sketchup is being a dick and wont play nicely.

14. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

I have a gap between that lower wall plate and the wall to allow for the tanalised timber, but until i go fetch it on saturday i dont know its dimensions, from what i have bought there before the 2x4 is 45mm so thats the gap i left currrently

15. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

If you're screwing boards make sure you get screws with smooth shanks. They'll pull the boards in tight, otherwise full thread screws tend to lift the boards up.

As for a nail gun, that would be best but the hire can be hassle. So using screws and getting a good impact driver could be your answer - you'd use it for the internal fit out too.

16. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

upload_2020-9-10_21-49-35.png
    This is what i have drawn up for the man door side, i added 2 pieces there to allow for the truss to bear down directly on both as i cant make the dimension perfect to suit.

17. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

Thank you, I bought nails to make the framing and plan to frame it with 75mm wire bright nails? at least thats what screwfix said their called, they look proper at least. for the osb i thankfully read something about full thread and osb so did purchase spax screws with a smooth shank for the last bit of the screw, OMG how do you guys cope with this stuff, i can not believe there is so much devil in the detail. i appreciate your help though, this has been a dream of mine for a very very long time, and as a father of 5 and and grandfather of 8 i think its well earned lol

18. Bill The Bolt

Bill The Bolt New Member

If you think that's confusing, I work in a steel tube mill which produces 3 sizes of continuously welded steel tubes as feedstock to produce oil and gas pipeline and rectangular and square construction sections. The three sizes have always been known as 5 1/2", 6 5/8" and 7 3/4" The actual sizes are 139mm (5.472"), 168mm (6.614") and 193mm (7.598") and although all finished goods are sized in metric, some customers will still order 2" square, 6" square, 3" diameter and 3/4" gas pipe!

19. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

The last screw trade pack i bought 20 years ago from screwfix cost me about £10 lol i finished using them all about 3 months ago and bought a new trade pack in a pretty metal case for about 35 quid, gotta be honest i was more impressed with the fact that they all came in individual pots and that they had a perfect metal case they all fittted in lol. the pack i bought 20 years ago when screwfix was a baby was all in branded boxes :)

20. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

Seriously? how do you guys manage with this everyday? I work in IT i been doing it 25 years im better than i was but not nearly good enough to be awesome lol