Metricery

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mailee, Mar 21, 2004.

1. mailee

mailee New Member

Why did we have to change to metric when I was gettig along fine with good old feet and inches flavour. Now I am quite happy working in the imperial system but whenever I go to the woodyard I am confronted with lengths of 2.4 mtrs x some astronomical figure giving me the width. All of the advertisements I now see tell me that a thicknesser can handle up to 150mm x 150mm, yes but can it handle six inch stock?. I am confused why don't they still put imperial on them as well for us of the old school. I bet they even ripped us off when they changed too just like the metrication of £ s p!. :)

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the building industry changed to metric in 1968. (where have you been?)

the only real reason we still use imperial is that a lot of timber still comes from our american colony. timber from europe comes in metric

seriously though i use metric by choice and imperial when it suits

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ps everybody knows what you mean when you say 4x2 even though it isn't

4. mailee

mailee New Member

Oh sorry I forgot to tell you I have been in China for the last three years, They got some strange system over there of about the right length will do!. :)

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

i also work in cubits. helped noah on the ark (it didn't sink)

6. mailee

mailee New Member

Yeah in China they have a rod with 'near enough is good enough' on it. They can sure build walls though. :)

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

mailee 6" is 152mm so for most things they are the same.
    Timber is sold in multiples of 300mm which is slightly under 1 foot.
    2.4m is 1½" less than 8ft

8. mailee

mailee New Member

The only thing I can remember is 39" is one metre so I use the rule that one metre is about three feet and have some spare. :)still use the old imperial for small measurenments though. I guess I am an old die hard. :)

9. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Many of us prefer imperial.
    The mess kids up at school with metric by teaching them centimetres when the only measurements in the SI system are millimetres, metres & kilometres.
    Whoever bragged about having 229mm instead of 9"?

10. Pro-Spark

Pro-Spark New Member

I've only got 12 inches but dont use it as a rule !!!!!

Tony

11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dewy. understand your point, but if you have worked with continentals (i mean germans, they work in centimetres) you get to be careful with your metric measurements.

Just to complicate matters I worked on a job and got a drawing of (one) bolt on a single sheet of paper and it said 32, it didn't make sense in millimetres or centimetres.

Looked at the drawing again, the architect was american!

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I worked in South Africa when they made it illegal to use imperial measurements. As machinery was made with imperial sixes we had to buy 12.7mm BSW or 12.7UNC taps, dies & bolts to be legal.
    I have worked in both systems for over 30 years but still prefer imperial for non engineering measurements.

13. mailee

mailee New Member

9" Dewey good god, now I feel inadequate. That's why I married a Chinese woman they have small hands. :)

14. Dewy

Dewy New Member

9" was referring to the risers on the stairs. ;)

15. mailee

mailee New Member

OOPS! SORRY, my mind again. :)

16. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Through choice I work in imperial as I find it easier to measure using the different length lines on the rule. In metric you have a long line for the 5 millimetre and centimeter marks but short lines for the millimetres that fall in between. On an imperial measure there are different length lines for 1/16th 1/8ths and so on which is much easier to plot without taking a measurement into your head.

You stick with what you know and I cannot think in metric and I have to convert it in my head. I now have steeled myself to learn common lengths for timber purchase, but I still work in imperial.

If you never worked in imperial then give it a try it is a lot easier on the eye and less mistakes.

DWDoesntusemetric

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

personally i use both at the same time
    sounds a recipe for disaster doesn't it
    what i do is write the nearest measurement say 5 inch
    i then in brackets write [127mm]
    say its 119mm [ill just put 4/three quarters thats near
    enough it only for comparison
    and when i draw the rod or plans i have a check that doesn't look right check mm same as inches must be right

also helps you do instant conversions betwwen metric and
    imperial

[but of course i do still have disasters]

big all

18. Nailed

Nailed New Member

I wonder how long it will be before some EU law makes it illegal for us to buy a tape with both imperial and metric just in case someone accidently looks at the wrong number?

19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

nailed, you are paranoid, and yes Fisco produce metric only tapes and I have to order them.

20. WOLF

WOLF New Member

why not read the previous posting on measurements to find out that the imperial system is still the most accurate...and strangly enough, most court and legal papers are still required to be in imperial, WHY!!! due to the accuracy of the system..........need we say more, except that metric is for muppet foreigner's and there ilk!!!!! they invented it and it is still in accurate....and can be mis-construde!!!!!
    good i hate the frogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    matt