Metricery

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mailee, Mar 21, 2004.

1. WOLF

WOLF New Member

oh and p.s.. it should read METRICITY for the heading.

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

With mixed metric & imperial, how do car makers get the miles per gallon when petrol is sold in litres?
    I am fed up of converting litres to gallons to get the correct mpg.
    Once they spend many millions of taxpayers money with new metric road signs & all cars have metric odometers we will have to learn the continental way of 'litres per 100 kilometers.'

3. jorustle

jorustle Guest

Hey, Mailee. Just how much do you remember of real money? When did we ever have £ s p? It is bad enough listening to one pee, two pee, ninety nine pee, without having to see it in writing. That's it! I'm off to spend a Penny.

4. ColG

ColG New Member

If you look at the destructions for fitting doors to integrated Neff appliances, you are supposed to drill a hole 35.5 mm at the certain location, how the f.c.uk am I supposed to get my pencil sharp enough to put the dot in the right place?

Col

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

jorustle, we never did have £sp.
    We had £sd.
    No wonder so many went on an acid trip when they mixed up money for drugs. ;)

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

wolf, how is imperial more accurate than metric

I won't mention that the british imperial and american imperial standards are if fact different lengths. It is a matter of documented fact

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

One reason for inaccuracies with metric is the way kids are taught in school here.
    They are taught in centimetres because that is the smallest that can be used easily.
    Only millimetres, metres & kilometres are used in S.I. (system international)
    Millimetres for small measures i.e. mechanical
    Metres for larger items i.e. buildings
    Kilometres for measures of distance between places.

Kids leave school & then have to learn the correct measures that weren't taught to them.

The smallest measure on a metric rule is 1mm
    On an imperial rule it's 1/64" which can be easily read because of the varying length of lines on the rule.
    NB. 1/64 is less than half a millimetre.
    the steel rule I have had since early 60s is marked to 1/64" on one side & 1/100" on the other & is easily readable to the smallest line.

'Give you an inch and you'll take a mile' is more poetic then 'give you a millimetre and you'll take a kilometre'

Every imperial measure has a base on things normally seen such as a foot a yard and an inch. an inch is the length of a nuckle, a foot is obvious and a yard was the length of an arrow (a clothyard) which was the length from fingertip to nose.

8. WOLF

WOLF New Member

DIRTY DEEDS, seeing as good ol' DEWY has actually beaten me to the main answer to your question i shall just add the following...one area that people ALWAYS screw up the measurement in metric,. is in thinking that a foot/12" is equal to 300mm NOT ON YOUR KIN' NELLY IS IT!!!! 305MM so when you youngun's start adding figures you are progressively making the matter worse than ever.. and as COL G states, how are you meant to measure 1/2 mm on a tape/rule that only has 1mm increments!!!!!! where as you can easily add up in fractions, or don't they teach them at schools these days either(let me know folks)
    i could go on, but i won't ... imperial was around long before metric, and metric was only invented cos the frog, can't add up numbers other than 1's and 10's
    regards matt,

9. Dewy

Dewy New Member

When I was at tech. the maths lecturer (former WW2 RAF navigator) told us how bad metric was & that a better system would be the duodecimal system using 12 as the base. This would have been far better if it had been adopted as, like shillings, it had more divisors.
    This guy loved maths like most would love their wives & he could see the problems with metric

10. mailee

mailee New Member

No Wolf, the heading was intentional. Do you remember Worsel Gummage who was always saying Elecrtricery!.

11. mailee

mailee New Member

Well Jorustle, I remember more than I would like to which shows my age. I remember the Ten bob note, The thrupenny bit and the half penny too. Luckily I don't remember the farthing though. :) I can remember buying a thupenny bag of chips too.

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Chips were threpence a bag when the farthing was still legal. I used to go in a cake shop & the buns were 2¼d and they always charged to the halfpenny above. They didnt like it when I gave them 2d the next day saying that I had been overcharged the day before.
    Didn't you have the old silver 3d?
    They were before the threpenny bit.

13. mailee

mailee New Member

no don't remember the silver 3d bit only the multi sided one. And no I dont remember trams either, lol.

14. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I couldnt stand buses when we moved to a town without trolley buses.

15. bilco

bilco New Member

How do you write 2 and one third meters in numerals?..please ;)

16. Dewy

Dewy New Member

its impossible because the 3 is recurring.
    2.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

17. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

One odd thing about the SI system of units.

The basic unit of measurement of length is the metre. From which we derive kilometre, millimetre, centimetre etc.

The basic unit of measurement of time is the second. From which we derive millisecond, nanosecond, attosecond etc.

How come the basic unit of measurement of mass is the <u>kilogram</u> and not the gram?

18. Mof

Mof Guest

Big All,
    Thats exactly what I do when measuring in mm, I also check the nearest imperial measurment so as to reasure myself that I have not made a mistake.

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yeh mof
    a nearly fullproof method eh
    [but i still c0ck up ocasionaly]

ho ho ho lol

big all

20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

wolf, got your drift, dewy understand where you are comming from

but children, DIYers and badly taught c&g doing silly things like multiplying inaccurate convresions doesn't make metric less accurate than imperial

Is 45 that young?