Metro Plumb franchise - worth it?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Martin26, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

I've spent the last 30+ years in IT and really need a change.

A couple of years ago I went back to College to do a Part P Competent Persons/NVQ L2 course and the 18th Edition to satisfy my curiosity with a view that maybe 'sparking' was for me but after rewiring my own house, replacing the consumer unit, and running a load of SWA around the garden, I'm not sure I want to do the NVQ L3 to be able to sign off my own work for Customers.

So, I was thinking about plumbing - done loads of that in the past - and there's a local training provider offering courses on water regs, etc/etc.

I saw that Metro Plumb has a franchise for sale in my area, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether this was worth pursuing.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Martin

2. I’m sure you could make good money with them and there would be a steady stream of work, but when plumbers around the country are in such demand and generally stacked out with work, why pay someone else a big cut of your earnings when u can keep
    It all yourself. I know where I live that firms are crying out for blokes and self employed plumbers are booked in for weeks/months in advance normally.

Martin26 and quasar9 like this.
  3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Spent 27 years in retail before becoming doing something similar. It’s very scary. Be brave and go on your own. The work seems to be there (I’m not a plumber to be fair). If you’re good word of mouth is all you need. Depends on your mindset. I have a mate who had his own plumbing and heating business. Stress of finding the next job or not knowing what he was doing next (even though he never didn’t have work), was too much for him and he joined British Gas. Hasn’t stopped moaning since though. :D

longboat, Martin26 and quasar9 like this.
  4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Both posters above make good points, but in the early years you need support. Learning in a college and real life are somewhat different especially if cowboys have attended before you ! You need to build up real world experience which you will in 2 to 3 years. But in those intervening years you will need support to get you out of tricky situations, especially when things have not gone to plan. If this company offers such support go for it but if they are nothing more than booking agent and taking a big cut for that service, as pppmacca says, go on your own !

5. Agree Quasar. Tbh the best way would be to work for another company or with another plumber for at least a couple of years before you think about going it alone.

longboat and Martin26 like this.
  6. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

What trade did you go into after your time in retail? I've had a couple of friends say that being in my 50's is too late to get into plumbing (or sparking for that matter) as my body won't be able to cope with the physical demands of squeezing into small spaces...

7. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

I've made a preliminary enquiry to Metro Plumb and they've sent through their brochure, and it doesn't seem to include the support you're suggesting (and I agree) would be very useful.

Clearly, getting some hands-on experience and then going it alone would be the best way, but who would take on a middle-aged apprentice ;-)

8. I used to work for Dyno plumb many years ago. It’s basically just the backing of a big call centre and national advertising whilst taking a percentage of every job and charging you a fortune for the franchise. I’m sure u could make a lot of money and take on extra blokes through metro in the long run but you could also do that yourself if you are decent and reliable(and wanted to)

Martin26 likes this.
  9. Truckcab79

I’m only 50 so if you think plumbing and sparks is tough on your body, try landscaping! Everything is heavy. The materials, the work, the equipment. But great satisfaction at the end of a job. Patios mainly, but also garden design, fencing, I design and build bespoke pergolas, and design and build wood fired ovens. I also do what I suppose you would call handyman work though that seems to have a bad name amongst professional tradesman. It means I also do kitchen fitting, bathrooms, decorating and anything else that comes my way and interests me.

I was very lucky. Had a stupidly well paid job in retail (£100k) for basically mincing around a shop. When I got pushed out the door as part of a restructure it was the best thing to happen to me. I was more fortunate than most in that I’d always been practical and had bought and refurbished a number of properties during my time in retail. Aside for the skills gained it also meant I had a fair bit of kit to get started with. Started as a bit of mates rates cash in hand just because it was offered to me and was soon so busy I can’t possibly do all the work that I’m offered. Went legit after about 6 months. Have two othe mates doing exactly the same. We all make a good living and enjoy it more than we ever did our old jobs.

handyman as much as there are some rogues is a great job. Really varied. Great value for money for clients and you’ll be amazed how many clients are more than happy to pay £300 a day labour to be able to tick off all the little tasks they have no desire or skill to do themselves. It’s actually the bit I enjoy most though also the bit I do the least of. Give it some thought.

Martin26 likes this.
  10. WoodMistress

WoodMistress New Member

My Dad’s a joiner. After spending 5 years being apprenticed by an old boy who was a true craftsman, he started on his own 35 years ago by walking round Matlock one day stuffing home-made photocopied leaflets through doors. The phone had started ringing before he got home. He hasn’t advertised since, and has been booked solid months in advance for as long as I can remember. So it can be done. I’d go along with the encouragement the other contributors have given you and suggest that you consider becoming self-employed. A good source of regular work is via your local builders - once they find blokes who do good work and are reliable, they tend to stick with them. I’m pretty sure that other professional blokes such as @WillyEckerslike @Bazza-spark @Astramax and @kitfit1 would also agree.

Good luck in all your future endeavours.

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think we might know your dad!
    Give him our best.

kitfit1 and WoodMistress like this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Great advice sweetheart. ;)

kitfit1 likes this.
  13. WoodMistress

WoodMistress New Member

xxx

Astramax likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Oooohhhhhhhhhh you little tease you.:D

kitfit1 likes this.
  15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, i did fairly much the same as "your dad" :D In my case though after i got fed up with site work, i moved to domestic and then to what i do now, kitchens.
    Did you follow in "Dad's" footsteps ?;)

16. WoodMistress

WoodMistress New Member

Hello !! No - I’m an accountant. I’m just doing his tax now. In return he’s been up to Scotland (where I live) many times and done a load of stuff to my house. I have a big list for next time he comes up.

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Give dad our best wishes. He is very much missed.

I will have a glass to him.

18. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

A bit like you, I've always been practical and have built up enough kit to do whatever it is I ultimately plan for the future.

The 'gig' I'm currently on should run through until the end of March after which I'll need to take a bit of time off as I've been working constantly since October 2018, and this would give me a bit of time to try a few things - but the variety of work coupled with a reasonable daily rate is appealing. In fact, I think I'll start a bit of marketing in the meantime and gauge the level of interest...

Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

19. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

Thanks everyone for your input - I've decided that whatever route I choose to go down, I'll save the £17K and if needs be borrow to invest in my own training/marketing rather than give it to a Franchising organisation.

Really appreciate the thought everyone has given to my question, and the time you've taken to post your replies.

20. Truckcab79

Let us know what you end up doing. I’m sure it will work out for you. It’s a big step but I genuinely don’t know anyone who’s gone down this route and isn’t rushed off their feet with work. My only and last bit of advice is if you do the handyman route then assuming you’re confident with your skills, don’t undersell yourself. Leave all the cheap jobs to the uninsured cash in hand Facebook crowd. Know your value and stick with it. ‘Don’t be a busy fool’ one of my clients told me after telling me to put my prices up. He wasn’t wrong, and it’s stuck with me.
    Spend your 17k on a decent van, professional signwriting, business cards, small web presence, logo’d clothing. All relatively inexpensive (except the van!), but gives a great impression and almost free advertising after initial shelling out.
    Good Luck.

Martin26 likes this.