MFI kitchen fitting prices (cheeky question)

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mr Kipling, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Can any of you guys tell me what MFI pay their fitters?
    Its just that I want to try and negotiate the "free fitting" cost off of the purchase price for my kitchen.

Thanks in anticipation

2. trustedman

trustedman New Member

nothing is free at mfi, they just stick it somewhere else on the bill.

I have seen people who have been offered free insurance for example but no discount on units

3. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Thats what I mean. So if they say you can have free fitting I might be able to say that they can keep the 2 grand they were gonna pay the fitter and knock it off the price. Just thought if I had a known figure that I could quote it may give me some leverage. Thats why its a bit cheeky asking you guys.

4. Catch22

Catch22 New Member

Seem to remember one of the 'ex' fitters posting that they charge approx. £2500 and the fitter himself would get 60% of that. Might be worth looking through the old posts for confirmation of this.
    Wouldn't hold your breath on getting that knocked off though!!!!

Catch

5. Analias

Analias New Member

Just had a quote from MFI for a £3700 refit.(no appliances)£1500 installation, including removal & disposal of old kitchen. Good luck.

6. russ295

russ295 New Member

i have a mate who fits direct for MFI and he gets a fixed price for each unit, he does not get the full fit price. if the fit is 2k and the fitter is only getting £900 out of it you may get the £900 knocked off, but then you have to find another fitter, as someone posted earlier nothing at MFI is free, i think MFI stands for More F***g Idiots, every fit i have done for them (not directly) or bought stuff from them for myself has turned into a headache,(failed deliveries, damages ect), run a mile now if i get a fit only and the're mentioned. if thats the price range your looking at try howdens or magnet trade, where abouts are you?
    russ

7. Punda

Punda New Member

MFI charge per unit that the fitter gets.Then they add an admin fee on which varies depending on the amount of units.

Why do you not just buy the units and get your own fitter.If you came you me with your suggestion I would tell you to get stuffed and refuse to sell you any kitchen

8. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Fair point Punda, I did say it was cheeky.

I'll be fitting the kitchen myself except for the granite worktops and I've had a Part P'er do the electrics.

Price has just come down by 50% for the sale, which is nice. But its still gonna cost me 8 grand :(

9. KITCHEN MAN

KITCHEN MAN New Member

MR k
    i used to fit for mfi they pay you £50 per unit £50 each joint same cornice and lightrail also sink.
    if you have to move any pipes or electric or gas you have to get price from fitter,

10. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Thanks Kitchen Man, that was what I was after. I'll let you know if I manage to get MFI to budge on the price.

11. Boff

Boff New Member

8 grand for a supply only kitchen - how and why?

12. Catch22

Catch22 New Member

My thoughts exactly Boff! ???

13. Punda

Punda New Member

You could check if you are out of sale period that you have been quoted so high

14. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Thats 8 grand in the sale. Hanging on till Easter to see if they knock a bit more off. The orrigional one we chose was schriber from Howdens for about 4k with trade discount, but this one looks nicer and howdens don't do it, well not yet anyway.

15. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Just called MFI cos I thought I could get the carcas from Howdens and just the door from MFI.

For a 600 unit in Kelmscot Oak
    From MFI unit and door £412 reduced to £288 in the sale.
    Door alone with no reduction £238
    I guess I could get a unit from Howdens for around £50- £60 so it ain't any cheaper. I will have to see if they are gonna do that range at Howdens or not.

16. Catch22

Catch22 New Member

Mr Kipling... If you're looking for a Solid Oak, Shaker style door I have a product which, based on the sales prices you're quoting below, will save you 50%!!!
    My product is: Solid Oak Door, 18mm colour coordinated carcass, 8mm hardboard back, cam & dowell construction. Can be supplied constructed or flat-pack to suit. Lead time 3 weeks dependent on your area.
    Drop me a line at tjb_installations@btinternet.com for information.
    Regards,
    Martyn

17. Boff

Boff New Member

For the most expensive real oak door I do (out of a choice of 4) I retail a 600mm high line base unit at £133. That's for an 18mm rigid colour matched unit edged all round (even the shelves), dowel and glued so no visible fixings (cams etc.), 18mm backs, hinges, door buffers and of course the door.

Even for a 600mm drawer line in the same oak style with Blum Tandembox (soft close) drawer I only charge £192.

MFI and the like take the **** basically.

I offer trade prices on everything as well if anyone's interested info@rbsktichens.co.uk

18. Boff

Boff New Member

The door by itself is £58 retail :)

19. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Boff and Catch.

Are these doors the inset type. Perhaps you could view the MFI website, Kelmscott range.

When I get home, tomorrow, i'll be able to email the sizes etc that I need. Do you have a way for me and the missus to view the product, sale room, web page, sample etc.

Many thanks, Mr Kip.

20. russ295

russ295 New Member

hi
    could be wrong but that range looks like the tewksbury at howdens, there is also another solid oak range they have brought out but cant remember the name. may be worth a look if you cant get sorted with boff or catch22.
    russ