Mice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jimbo, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Guys

Since pulling up my downstairs floor I seem to have mice. One of my cats has so far picked off four (the other one just sits on the sofa ignoring them) - but I reckon there are many more!

Any top tips on getting rid of them without risking hurting my cats.

Thanks!

2. Ged

Ged New Member

Have you tried a mouse trap?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

.....and put a WARNING! label on it,
    so the cats don't go near. :)

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. dj.

dj. New Member

whack em with a spade.

really.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Leave the hoover on permanently, with a piece of cheese nearby. Shhhhhloop. Empty the bag on a daily basis. :)

Mice don't like cheese do they ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

They're easy enough to catch (just pick em up by the tail!) but there's probably a whole army of them living under my floor!

For now I've ordered myself one of those electronic mouse traps - so no mess. Wonder if it will actually work? I've heard peanut butter attracts them quite well.

Like the spade idea but could get messy...

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Handy, like the hoover idea... do you think it would be cruel to watch em spinning around the dyson?

8. dj.

dj. New Member

feed em horns then by the time they have eaten through them they will be too fat to move, then squirt fairy liquid in their eyes and while they are temporarily blinded tie a noose with a rubber strip and hang em.

really

9. Mr. Handyandy

Handy, like the hoover idea... do you think it would
    be cruel to watch em spinning around the dyson?

Sorry, didn't think of the cruelty aspect.

OK. For dyson and similar hoovers, chuck a couple of razor blades in first. Almost instant death, and has the added benefit you can get more in the dust chamber.

Mr. Handyandy - really

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

OK. For dyson and similar hoovers, chuck a couple of
    razor blades in first. Almost instant death, and has
    the added benefit you can get more in the dust
    chamber.

:)

11. I've seen it on "life of grime" where they put the poison in covered boxes, which have holes jusst big enough for mice to enter & exit, maybe improvrise one outta ice cream container, that way cats wont eat poison.

My problem is the cat brings in a mouse, drops it in house, before killing it, then mouse runs behind cooker, then under kitchen... how much of a pain to get it out!

12. have heard peanut butter, chocolate & rasions are good for mousetraps, but no good if theres plenty of crumbs for them to eat!

13. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

NUKE EM !!!!! THE DUKE !!!!! Darn pesky vermits !! and sack the cats (bricks optional)

14. Spittlepit

Spittlepit New Member

That's easy:

GET MORE CATS!

15. dj.

dj. New Member

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thanks guys! We're up to five now!

Do mice live in lofts? As I'm begining to wonder whether they are coming into the house through the pipe holes where the central heating pipes used to be.

The ultrasonic thing looks like a good long-term idea, bury one under the floor and stick one in the loft.

The electrocution machine I've bought is
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75581&item=7702621954&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Althogh I'm a bit worried the cat who's not permanently asleep might stick his feet in it!

17. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

There is a bigger version called the 3000, you wouldnt have to bury one, the gadget creates a magnetic field around all house wiring, so it penetrates into cavitys, attic voids through the ceiling wiring etc etc. I have mine positioned in the kitchen above the cupboards, this is to make use of the ultrasonic feature for combating insects. Does a good job. Please don't use this if the kids have pet rodents, it will send them doolalley, the pets not the kids. Jas

18. handyman.

handyman. New Member

There is a bigger version called the 3000, you
    wouldnt have to bury one, the gadget creates a
    magnetic field around all house wiring, so it
    penetrates into cavitys, attic voids through the
    ceiling wiring etc etc. I have mine positioned in the
    kitchen above the cupboards, this is to make use of
    the ultrasonic feature for combating insects. Does a
    good job. Please don't use this if the kids have pet
    rodents, it will send them doolalley, the pets not
    the kids. Jas

O no, dont tell the sparks, all hell will break loose :)