Microwave, Renovating!......

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rulland, May 27, 2014.

1. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Good Evening All,
    This maybe a stupid question, and one doesn't have to point it out!, my microwave has the white paint flaking away from under the turntable thingy, still works fine, and is a great little thing, shame to landfill it just for the hell of it, Is there anyone on here who has 'touched up' the inside of one at all?, if so did it work out ok?, what method/paint did you use?.
    Cheers in advance,
    Rich.

2. Just a cosmetic issue?

Then leave it alone and just use it... :rolleyes:

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

For me I would mate......but 'er in doors!.....a woman thing!, lol.

4. Tell her the microwaves will release many different toxic products from the paint - which will then be absorbed by the food in there.

Job done.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Only thing I can suggest is something that is microwave safe, in the form of thin film for example(white, I guess), large enough to cut to shape, and cover the bottom with that( a circle with a hole for under the turntable, and a large rectangle with a large hole bigger than the turntable).

Just an idea.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And then slap your wife with it!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

We've got one of the really old Kenwood Chef mixers, heavy, metal body with very little plastic and built to last - for ever
    Had a bit of corrosion here and there so sanded down with wet and dry and used a couple of coats of Hammerite. It looks as good as new once again

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hammerite-smooth-paint-white-750ml/69444

Now, I know you're talking about a microwave here and there are some concerns, as above but, the way I see it is;

The body of the microwave doesn't actually get hot during use
    The area you want to refurb is under the turntable so not even the cooking dish will be in contact with the painted surface
    Might be worth giving it a go

After the recommended drying time, and give it some extra, just try the microwave out with a bowl of water inside (shouldn't run them when empty)
    If there is a paint / chemical smell, or if the microwave has burst into flames then you now know that your effort has been wasted and you now need to buy a new one :eek:

Good luck though

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Some interesting replies there, cheers chaps.

9. Biochef

Biochef Member

Put a tin of radiator paint in with lid on tight It should only take about 3 min on high for your desired affect :eek:

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

+1 Biochef.

11. :D

Akshully, as Mr Ha says, there are covers you can get wot are designed to go into microwave ovens - made from silicone or summat.

Designed to catch spills and stuff. Mind you, it would need to be large enough to cover your whole bottom, and then you'd need to cut a large circle out for the turntable rollers and stuff. And make sure that it ain't too thick to touch the rotating turntable.

I think I've seen them in these daft shopping mags you get with Sunday papers - absolutely full of stuff you can't believe someone's invented, and believe even less that anyone buys.

As you hold your self back from reaching for the credit card... :oops:

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Aww. Ya spoiled it me ol' china. :(

13. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

You can use any standard gloss enamel paint as most microwave are all enamel based. You can buy microwave paint from decent appliances store but very hard to find.

remove all peeling paint and then repaint as normal and allow it to dry out for at least minimum 24 hours.

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:). Have a decorating party and paint the whole thing!

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Lol at you lot, cheers for the suggestions folks, some are good............some are Mr Bean......

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Chuck the fecking thing in the bin and buy a new one for the trouble and strife you tight git Mr R..:rolleyes:

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yer cud be roight ther mr JP sir. The microwaves might well be xscapin through the soids an fryin the head of mr rulland.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select