Mid Range Track Saw??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by LeonWiddicombe, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Hi all,

man building out a little workshop in my garage with some tools to do stuff around the house.

I don’t think I will be doing enough to warrant a table saw, and also don’t own a circular saw of any kind.

someone once told me that a track saw is decent enough for cutting down sheet material. There seems a big jump between a normal circular saw £100-150) and a track saw (£400!)

Can anyone recommend a Decent track saw that isn’t £400?

2. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Have a look at Peter Millard's 10 minute workshop on Youtube, courtesy of Wayners from this board.

3. robgul

robgul Member

I just bought a basic MacAllister tracksaw from Screwix - £99 - seems OK so far for my use - mainly 12 or 18mm ply and MDF. Blade may not be briliant but I've ordered a couple with different numbers of teeth from Saxton Blades

4. cheers, good to know it's working ok. Just seems bizarre that there is no mid range models

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Look at tracks before you buy saw.. 10 min workshop covers this on YouTube. I have the titan saw so evolution track is my best option I think

6. happy chapper

happy chapper Member

Bought a 165mm track saw from Rutlands £120, excellent tool. Well worth the money and go for top quality blade.

7. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

just make your own out off a rip of 6 mm mdf with a fence built on out off another piece of mdf then use speed clamps to fix on to work piece

8. Thanks for the replies guys, managed to find a happy medium. Makita sell the SP6000J as a body only which the Mrs is getting for my birthday, and I will buy the tracks.

What tracks are useful? I need something long enough to cut a sheet down in one go so will need a 1.5m, but thinking this will be long for other cuts. I Thought of buying the twin 1.5 pack, and cutting one down so I have 1.5, 1 and 0.5m.