Milwaukee M12 tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by robertpstubbs, Nov 8, 2020.

1. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I’ve been planning to replace my old cordless tools (7.2v to 24v) for a long time. Some of them are over 20 years old, and none of the batteries work well. And some have “disappeared”.

I’m currently looking at the Milwaukee M12 range, partly because they seem to have such a wide range.

I imagine a new 12v tool would be as powerful as an old 18v tool and weigh more like an old 7.2v tool?

I still have some 240v tools for heavy duty work, and would consider buying say 54v for big jobs.

Portability is important to me. Also lightness is important as I have old injuries affecting my hands.

Would you recommend Milwaukee, or suggest something else?

Are the multi-head drills useful or a gimmick?

Brushed or brushless?

2. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

The old style multi head drill is great - but it's only a drill driver - brushed, no percussion or impact. The rotating 90degree head is really useful and got me out of a few tricky spots last week. I don't know if the new style one is better - it should be more powerful as it's fuel but you have to change the direction with a button on the back which is different from all my other drivers. I don't know if I could get used to that very easily. My current one gets a lot of use, has suffered a few drops and still performs well.

All of the major brands will be pretty decent - some people have their favourites especially if they are on one battery platform. Given your injuries I would see which one feels most comfortable in your hands.

robertpstubbs likes this.
  3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Thanks Isaac. Bought the BDDX which I think is the one you have. Haven’t really had to use it yet but it seems very well made. Seems light and balanced especially with 2Ah battery. £170 for a drill with 3 heads, 2 batteries and a charger seems OK. I expect I will get more powerful versions and bigger batteries later, but this seems ideal as a drill to keep in one’s emergency handbag. Also bought bare vac (M12 HV) which seems effective considering it is only 12v.

Isaac Cox likes this.