Min distance electric hob to sink

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Kav63, May 8, 2020.

1. Kav63

Kav63 New Member

Hoping for some voices of experience here.
    Have been to 2 kitchen planners to plan a new kitchen. It’s a small space, and one planner placed the hob one cupboard along from the sink (500) which I was fine with.
    The manufacturer I prefer has insisted there is a building reg that says there must be 800 mm between the hob and the sink, and has given me a weird design to cope with this. I’ve googled a lot and can only find building regs about electric sockets to sinks (min 300). My fitter doesn’t know so I’m putting it out there. Could I put the hob and the sink 600 apart?? What is your experience?

kitfit1 likes this.
  2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You could ring your local councils building control and ask them to confirm the relevant regulation ,if in deed one exists ,which as far as I am aware there isn't one. 600 mm would be fine in my opinion. I would be interested to hear other members opinions.

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Mancone likes this.
  4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is there a washing machine under the hob Teach ? !!!!

5. Kav63

Kav63 New Member

Wow – that is small!! So it looks as though there probably isn’t a regulation giving a min distance....
    still can’t work out why IKEA Kitchen planners insist that they have to be 800 mm apart... any kitchen fitters come across this before??

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

IKEA are not known for being experts when it comes to things electrical !!

Sparkielev likes this.
  7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

A really interesting question and you are correct there is no minimum distance specified in any regulations, regarding electric hobs. There most certainly is regarding gas hobs, unless the sink is stainless steel or vitreous ceramic, it has to be a minimum of 150mm from the edge of the sink.
    All that said there are practicalities that come into play. As a kitchen fitter that sometimes designs kitchen as well it has always made sense to me to leave a minimum space between a hob (of any type) and a sink so that the customer can easily have a trivet of the correct size on the worktop to be able to place a 300mm frying pan on.
    Also the part of the sink nearest to the hob should ALWAYS be the drainer, not the sink bowl.

Mancone likes this.
  8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

So, are you going to be another one of those posters that ask a question expecting a reply................................that never tells us the outcome or even if what was recommended worked :mad:

9. Kav63

Kav63 New Member

So sorry kit fit 1! didn’t want to leave you hanging! Well I still haven’t had the kitchen fitted, but I think you guys are all right… No one can find a regulation about this, but I can’t convince IKEA so maybe it’s a regulation in Sweden? Anyway I’m going to have the hob 600 mm from the sink which will solve my problem. Thank you so much for your replies, they have reassured me!

kitfit1 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  10. ramona

ramona New Member

Does anyone have a hard an fast rule about how many inches gap there needs to be between a wall unit and an extractor?

11. Darkslider

Darkslider Member

You can get integrated cooker hoods that are built into your wall units, so the gap there is zero.

12. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Persimmon New builds have a 600mm gap between units either side of hob so there is no gap when you have a chimney extractor.

Personally I would leave an inch either side of extractor to clean edges

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Sparky here. There is no electrical reg determining minimum space between electric hob and sink.

Mancone likes this.
  14. Mancone

Mancone Member

Unlikely because plug socks are common place in bathrooms..... that’s my logic anyway lol

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've never seen a socket in a bathroom except in the avatar for one of our members. @jimoz I think it is.

16. Mancone

Mancone Member

In Sweden....

17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Sorry. Misunderstood.

Mancone likes this.
  18. Niall Love

Niall Love Member