Min max height of fan isolator switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mattttt, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Mattttt

Mattttt New Member

Is there a minimum or maximum height in a new build (extension) for a bathroom extractor fan isolator switch ?

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

No, but the sensible place is as close as possible to the fan, the standard way is a suitable pull cord switch

3. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

OSG any building regs guide group all switches in the same section. Have a look there. We normally fit them central above the door as a) highly unlikely that someone can reach from inside the bathroom, b) shorter cable runs, c) discourages accidental or deliberate turning off of the fan. Although you can buy lockable ones to prevent tenants disabling the fan then complaining of ‘damp issues’.

Pull cords are fine but look a bit dated in a modern bathroom.

4. Mattttt

Mattttt New Member

Cheers guys

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've been working in a property today where the ensuite fan isolator (a conventional rocker switch) was located in the ceiling of that room. Never seen that before.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Where can I get a 3 pole pull cord switch if the fan has a timer.

7. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

CEF.

Or this one at city plumbing.

Attached Files:

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Where can I get a 3 pole pull cord switch if the fan has a timer.

I found plenty of them on eBay.
    My spark wasn't happy with my ceiling mounted rocker fan isolator switches in my rental, and wanted them changed to pull cord switches. I found plenty that didn't even need the back box altered in any way.

9. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Anywhere, made specifically for isolating fans for donkeys years