Mini-trunking outside

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, Feb 21, 2010.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Hi all, just looking for a few opinions on this! I have some lights to fit on the back of a new plastic conservatory, would it be too much of a bodge to run the cable around the outside in white plastic mini-trunking.
    I'm thinking it will blend in quite well with the plastic framework and also will protect the cable from u/v so I can use t/e. I've never used mini-trunking outside before but don't really see any reason not to?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It will look bodgy Sen unless you can tuck it out of sight..how you would do this I would not have a clue.

However you can buy trunking which is D Shaped.. if all else fails then perhaps this would look better,

Stupid question..is there any chance of running the cable from under the floor into the plastic section and doing the business that way?

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Concrete floor JP!

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right..yes know what you mean Sen.

5. sysparks

sysparks New Member

I prefer PVC conduit outside, pretty cheap from tool station too.

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I think conduit cleated around the outside of the conservatory would look much worse than the 16x16 trunking sy?

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Or maybe you could come out of the floor void above the conservatory, and run the cable down the roof channeling to light position/s?..Still in trunking (or maybe in the actual channel itself) it would not look so obtrusive etc if this could be implemented, however it is long winded. All depends on the costing at the end of the day I suppose.

8. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Ye, on the conservatory itself, PVC trunking would blend in better.

On a brick wall tho, i much prefer the look of conduit.

9. Eye Squared R

Eye Squared R Active Member

Sen,

I personally would extend using singles in 20mm White Round Conduit instead. I see no technical reason why you can't use mini-trunking.

10. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I agree there sy, on the wall i'll use conduit but on the actual framework I think the trunking will blend in, thank's for your thought's on this everyone.

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

My own preference is black conduit on brick (never use white). Use white to blend in with pvc. Nice thing about trunking is the self-adhesive variety will stick very nicely to conservatory. :)