Minor but annoying as fluck!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jostro65, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Jostro65

Jostro65 New Member

Missus was on for ages to get a pergola for the very small space outside back door. Only 2m from house wall to garden wall, and 4m wide.
    Got polycarbonate sheet for roof. All good until started raining then it's rain dripping everywhere. (I don't know why I expected anything different now that I think about it.) I did a 2 inch drop from back to front edge when building the pergola, but now the water runs off bang centre onto the small garden wall and splashes everywhere, all along the 4m width of the pergola. The roofing overhangs the pergola by about 8 inches so I can't fix gutters to the wooden supports, other than trimming the roofing to make this work, are there any other solutions/fixes anyone can suggest?

2. ejenner

ejenner Member

could do with a picture really.

3. Jostro65

Jostro65 New Member

4. Jostro65

Jostro65 New Member

Hope this is bit easier to get my drift. Not the best photos but had to keep cropping til it let me upload. Trying to keep as much of the decking covered as poss, that's why I'm reluctant to cut the roof if poss.

5. ejenner

ejenner Member

So is the issue that the water is returning along the underside of the roof and coming back into the supposedly covered area?

6. Jostro65

Jostro65 New Member

No, the slight slant i built in from back to front stops that, but it drops off all along the front edge, which wouldn't bother me normally, but it runs off right above the low wall u can see, splashing onto the decking, annoying when youre sitting outside in that area. Gutters would sort it but the edges of the roof are too far away from where I could attach the guttering on the pergola.

7. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

What about fitting something to form a lip at the end to essentially divert it to one area, away from where it will splash on the wall? A gutter, in other words, but just not necessarily a standard gutter.

8. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Can't help thinking with the amount of overhang that strong winds will lift it off.

That aside, you could try a thick bead of clear silicone along the top edge to stop any water travelling over the edge.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just feed through new cross beams the same height as what's there or slightly less in order to get them through easily, 3,4,6x2 or whatever works, screw up through the existing structure to secure them, keep the ends back from the edge of the polycarbonate by two inches then screw the gutter brackets directly to the ends of the new beams. Beams spaced a metre or less apart would be fine.

ramseyman and Muzungu like this.
  10. ejenner

ejenner Member

Like others have suggested, if you glue a flat piece onto the wet edge with it sticking up above the roof surface it'll cause the water to run off down at either end and should be less annoying like that.

11. Jostro65

Jostro65 New Member

Thanks all, seems simplest option is couple lengths of pvc corner trim stuck along the edges n let it run off corners.
    As ever, thanks for all the input everyone.
    Take care.

12. PawelM

PawelM Member

Chunky bead of clear silicone stuck to underside about an inch from the edge should help