Mira 88 shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by s wilson, Aug 13, 2019.

1. s wilson

s wilson New Member

I am in the process of dismantling a mira 88 shower in order to service it (because the temperature knob was stuck on hot). I cannot remove the temperature spindle and everything I read suggests that it should come out. I've tried plumbers grease, heat, vinegar (for descaling) and even (probably shouldn't have) WD40, but it is stuck. Can somebody confirm that it is meant to remove and any tips on how to make it happen.

Thank you.

IMG_20190810_181510754[1].jpg

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Well-Known Member

Yes it should come out, indeed it should be able to turn. That's why it was stuck on hot.

The casing and the spindle are made of brass. Try heating it up again (carefully) with a
    hairdryer or preferably a hot air gun while jiggling the spindle. You'll need to re-use it, so don't force it.

3. s wilson

s wilson New Member

Well, I tried with a mini blow torch, but it didn't work. Maybe I should try again.

4. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

do you have the appropriate service kit at hand ? them showers mixer valves do vary a little. on completion of repairing some onsite testing is required,Hey you want a safe shower ;)

That mixer is a very good product,just needs some regular tlc ;)

5. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Try tapping it with a hard rubber mallet to shock it and break the seized bits apart.
    Or you could carefully and accurately use a steel bar and hammer to tap at the right spot. Wear safety glasses obviously

The Teach likes this.
  6. The Teach

depending on the actual manufacture date the central post/pillar should just pull out. give it a good tug ;)

7. s wilson

s wilson New Member

Thank you for your replies.

When you say the central post/pillar should pull out depending on the actual manufacture date, do you mean that some of them do not pull out? I think it must be at least ten years old (maybe older) and has had no tlc.

I have tried the blow torch again and a slight tap with a hammer, but I'm worried of damaging it. There is absolutely no give in it at all - it literally will not budge.

8. The Teach

They vary.have you seen Georges video tutorials at showerdoc.com and there are some other sites

9. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Often pulling at something seized just does nothing, but several gentle taps and plenty of patience can make it release.
    Tap heads are one example I find

10. s wilson

s wilson New Member

Thank you.

George's video tutorial has been my guide thus far; the temperature spindle easily comes out on that. The documentation I have also shows the spindle as removable too, but I am almost beginning to doubt it.

I just feel like I've tried everything - descaler, heat, plumber's grease, WD40, very gentle taps and I am being very patient - I've been trying to do this for four days!

Is there any limescale remover that you'd recommend that could help? I've tried vinegar and Mr Muscle.

I can see myself trying to re-assemble it and living with the stuck temperature knob.

11. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Well-Known Member

If it is limescale, any of the usual suspects (Domestos, Harpic, etc) will do. Hold it onto the spindle with toilet paper, make sure you use lots of the product and leave it
    overnight to soak well in.

12. s wilson

s wilson New Member

Thank you. I've done exactly that and now it's just a wait and see.