Mira electric shower flow pulsing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by George Farley, Feb 10, 2019.

1. George Farley

George Farley New Member

Hi all,

I have a Mira sport thermostatic shower, 9.8kw approx 5 years old! When it was first fitted the pressure used to literally knock us over

Recently the pressure/flow from the head has been dramatically reduced! I’ve tried all the usual things, cleaned head and hose, checked the filter on the inlet but that didn’t improve things!

The temperature remains constant and I took the front off to check for limescale build up but all seems clean inside!

If I turn the shower straight to cold the pressure pulses from low to high approx every second?! So I changed the flow valve hoping this would solve it but no joy!!

Does this sound like a low mains water pressure issue mixed with the cold water temperature? Or could there be other issues?

I’ve contacted Mira but they wanted to send a technician out for £180, I wasn’t to keen on going down this route, especially if it is a mains pressure issue that cannot be rectified?!

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

how is the pressure at the taps. And is there a isolater valve in the pipe work.

3. George Farley

George Farley New Member

Thanks for the quick reply,

We’ve not noticed any significant drop in pressure at any of the cold taps. The shower is plumbed into the mains feed that also supplies the loft tank, 15mm copper pipe tee’d in the airing cupboard.

4. spirits are real 2016

what happens when you take the shower head off and put it on full cold pressure. Does it still pulse .

5. George Farley

George Farley New Member

Yes it does the same without the head and hose fitted

6. spirits are real 2016

are you in a hard water area if so sounds like the heater tanks are furred up and time for a new shower.

7. George Farley

George Farley New Member

ah dear! Not the cheap quick fix I was hoping for!

Cheers for your advice

8. spirits are real 2016

don't know if you could take it off the wall totally and check the incoming mains pressure to make sure that's not the fault before going to the expense of a new shower.

9. George Farley

George Farley New Member

I’ve got a mate in the trade who’s able to check the water pressure. There are works going on in the area apparently and we’re not currently being fed from our local water treatment plant so the plot thickens!!!!!

10. spirits are real 2016

even a slight drop in pressure shouldn't make the shower pulse otherwise it would affect your taps too.

11. dcox

dcox Active Member

I doubt it’s down to the water supply.

Having seen the price of the Mira parts for your shower I’d recommend you bite the bullet and replace it.

12. George Farley

George Farley New Member

Here’s an update of what’s we’ve found today! Basically the filter appeared clear to the naked eye, but a quick rinse around with a cotton bud suggested otherwise as pictured. This made a massive difference to the output flow, although still not perfect, so we’ve got a new filter on order which is a last grasp attempt before we decide whether to replace it or not! Thanks for all your input. FBD55141-A496-4156-AB78-AD25186F0FBF.jpeg