mira electric shower power problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JOHN DAY, Jul 26, 2020.

1. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

I have just installed a new shower, when I put power on nothing happens. I have replaced the pull cord but when I use a multimeter I only get 240v on live/earth lines (I,m no lecky). When I switch shower on the light and pull cord light goes out and obviously no water.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is it a replacement shower on an existing circuit ? From what you told us ,it sounds like a disconnected neutral .
    Re check the switch connections.
    Which light goes out ?

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like no neutral.

4. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

its a replacement shower (different make) Ive checked and double checked all the connections, this is a bit long winded but this is what happens --- pull cord off - multimeter reads +/- zero, +/earth 240 plus. no readings anywhere else. pull cord on - m/meter in/out +/- 12 +/earth 240 plus, at shower +/- 12 +/earth 240. when shower selected on all lights go out and all the same +/- reads 1 and +/earth reads 240. i hope that makes sense. i also have the same info for the light on the screwdriver if that helps.

5. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

re-checked all connections good.

6. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

do i need to reply to you both seperatly ???

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No ,all posts can be read by all.
    Your info makes no sense.
    With multimeter on A.C voltage range and one probe on live and one on neutral conductor at the switch SUPPLY sides terminals ,what is the voltage ?

JOHN DAY likes this.
  8. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

when switched off with probe on live and neg it reads zero, i only get 240 when i use live and earth. when switch is on and probe on live and neg it reads 12+ and 240 using live and earth ?????

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Lost nuetral somewhere

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Did it work before you changed shower.or did you change shower cause it stopped working

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Lost neutral . Did previous shower not work at all ,like the new one ?

12. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

the very old shower stopped producing hot water but there was still water flow.

13. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

had no trouble with it for years

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you are competent and safe to do so, check the neutral at the consumer unit / fuseboard for loose connection .

15. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

im sure i can manage that.

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Post picture of the consumer unit and any switches in its vicinity , BEFORE removing the front cover.

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The old shower was probably still ok. It’s your electrical connections that need sorting out.
    Test between L&N. Start at the consumer unit and check at every joint, junction, switch etc along the supply cable to the shower. You’ll soon find where the voltage disappears.

PS What is the wattage of the shower and the current rating of the MCB for the shower circuit?

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ignore the village idiot, he/she will be in the dungeons soon.

19. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

terry, had a look and all the connections look good

20. JOHN DAY

JOHN DAY New Member

bazza, can you please use lingo i can understand sorrrry