Mira Event Power Shower with unvented system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by olicoz, Apr 30, 2021.

1. olicoz

olicoz New Member

Hi,

We recently had a new central heating system fitted going from oil to gas and vented to unvented. In our extension we have a Mira Event power shower which is not designed/required to be used with an pressurised unvented system. To save having to change the shower and disturb the tiles I was just planning on running the shower with the power (isolation switch) turned off so that the pump does not run, I have tested this and it works i.e the pressure from the shower is good without power and there seems to be no problem.

Is this a OK fix or is there something I am missing?

The heating engineers who installed the new central heating said that the shower would work ok for a while but may eventually develop problems in the long term, but this was all based on the pump in the shower running (which it is not).

The shower will be used very infrequently.

Thanks for any advice

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You’ve answered your own question. No it’s not suitable it should have been changed when the other works were done

3. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@olicoz Not sure if you asked another question re the Mira Event, but I have one also. Gravity fed.

I mentioned before that I have had to repair an internal leak on mine in the past. I have also had the power to it disconnected..

I would say........ if you want to (and you have tested it as ok) then use it as it is BUT ISOLATE THE WATER SUPPLY when you have finished with it each time. Both feeds.
    Otherwise I fear you could come to a flood one day. The internals are quite delicate and not designed to be pressurised and you must have two mains pressure feeds running into it I guess???

It is the front plate that holds the setting dials that is the delicate bit from my experience.

4. olicoz

olicoz New Member

Thanks both for the advice.

I didn't think about the fact that the feeds would be pressurised all the time and only the Mira valve would be preventing a leak/flood. I do have the ability to isolate both feeds to the shower so maybe since it is not being used then it is probably best to isolate.

Guess I need to install a thermostatic mixer shower in the long term but this involves disturbing the tiling and messing about with extending pipe work.