Mira shower - no COLD water!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by qamikazi123, Feb 10, 2021.

1. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

My brand new Mira sprint dual 10.8kw installed in a newly made bathroom will only give HOT water!. (Normally other way around)

When I turn the knob to cold the pressure increases as you would expect but then only hot water comes out even at fully cold. It bloody burnt me!!.

I feel I'm missing something simple here.

Any ideas folks?

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

faulty shower???

3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Stating the obvious, but it is plumbed into the cold mains, right?

Creek likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Who fitted it ?

That’s your first point of contact (unless that means contacting yourself) ? ;)

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Assuming its been plumbed in right then you have to assume its a faulty shower (thermostat). When its switched on presumably the water starts cold and you have no control over the temperature. Is that correct? Does it feel like the knob that adjusts temperature is actually connected to the unit and not loose etc

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you turn the top dial to " low" setting ,and the lower dial fully anticlockwise ,what is the temperature then ?

7. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Yes - i have taken out the plasterboard on the other side of the wall to check and its plumbed in fine. Just the water feed goes into it. I dont think its this otherwise no water would come out at all right??

8. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Hi Dave - lol - no i didnt install it myself! - i would contact the installer but the wiring is fine and its plumbed in ok from what i can see. So i dont think its the install - otherwise it wouldnt power up and have any water right??

9. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Hi Kas

water starts coldish for the first 10 seconds or so and then goes hot and stays hot. The knob adjusts fine - from what i can see as the pressure increases and decreases when turning it to cold and hot so the know seems fine.

10. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

i tried this and all different combinations i could think of and still just hot water

11. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

its under warranty and i could call mira but they charge if its not their fault so im just doing everything i can to make sure im clear my end first. is the thermostat a replaceable part - i could maybe buy one and ask my installer to change it to see if it is that.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, next question then .......

Who supplied the shower ??

If it’s the person that fitted it, then whatever the issue, it’s down to them to sort out and liaise with Mira with no further costs to yourself in either parts or labour

If you’ve supplied shower and had someone in to fit it - not so straight forward then

Shower will be under warranty with Mira (if a fault with the shower) and this will cover parts and/or replacement with a new unit

These warranties often don’t cover labour though but, good idea to also speak to Mira technical help department

Have you mentioned this to the installer and has the been the problem from day 1 ? Did you not check the shower once fitted with the installer there ?

Can remain fully clothed - just would stick your hand under the shower to check

13. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Thanks for all the help Dave.
    Yes I supplied the shower myself.
    I had an entire house renovation and turned an existing space to a shower room.
    I did check at the time very quickly but tbh can't remember if it was the same problem or not. I just saw water coming out and saw it was hot and left it at that!.

3 months later came to finally use it and burnt myself lol.

If the showers faulty will Mira charge labour to replace the part??.
    Do you think it is a faulty unit then or could it be something else on my part?

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I think it's unlikely to be a faulty shower. It doesn't have thermostatic control.
    The temperature of the water is simply determined by the flow of water through the heating canisters ,in conjunction with the top dial ,which brings one or more heating elements into operation.
    Do you have a combi boiler ? Is it possible that the supply to the shower is hot water ?

15. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

If it’s under warranty call Mira, they will come out and most likely put a new one in its place. Usually quicker and easier than trying to fix in my experience. I can’t see it being anything other than a shower fault with what you are describing really

16. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

While the shower is running check the supply pipe to confirm it’s cold.

qamikazi123 likes this.
  17. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

I actually wondered this too. No I don't have a combi. I have system boiler with pressurised tank.
    Maybe I could run the shower and touch the pipe from the other side of the wall that I exposed?

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What fault within the shower ,do you think would cause the water temperature to not reduce ,when the water flow is increased ?

19. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Yep. Gonna check that. Thanks

20. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

10p says it’s plumbed into the hot.

terrymac likes this.