Miss Pickle blog - Third time lucky.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by miss pickle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just looked what I used....some while ago now (1988) :eek:.... product called 'artist paint crayon', oil-base paint for artists and stenciler's, fade resistant, high intensity colour. No idea if still available though!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get solvent based pens & pads for stenciling, the pad is called
    StazOn solvent ink pad, it's acid free use it on metal,wood, glass,etc.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Some are,but some are suitable for paint fumes,you just need to read the spec. BTW,see how helpfull we can be on this site. It's not always a wind-up,but sometimes it is !! :D:D:D

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Re-fumes, a little surprised you are finding the paint fumes a problem, are you using old oil based paints pre the 2010 VOC regs (Volatile Organic Compounds), new oil based paint has less solvent content but the drying time has been extended by several hours in some cases which is the down side.

6. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

I had a look at that decoupage on a woman's blog last night kiab lol it doesn't look easy. I had a look at quite a few blogs last night! God they were really really good, so talented. Para is right, mine ain't no blog, but I like to have it as like a diary. Or it will be eventually! I've got all the tips off everyone in one place, dates, ups and downs, progress (when I have any that is). It is a fun way of recording it.
    The other women really know their stuff :( I'm a bit of a dope but I'm sure i will learn.
    Maybe I should go on a course? Flipping expensive though :eek:
    I like the pen idea for the signs :) and those stamps that you laquer over. I'm going to look at prices :oops: your sister obviously knows her stuff :D unlike moi.

7. miss pickle

They are trade oil paints from Travis Perkins :( expensive stuff.
    They give me a headache :(

8. miss pickle

:D:D:D I am my own worst enemy though :confused:

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

No you ain't mate. Just don't bite. Remember what I said about Teflon epaulettes....Let the s***e just roll off. ;););)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you want to paint flowers then Sheen Douglass is the person to watch, her techniques are so simple.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sheenad29/videos

I mentioned StazOn solvent ink pads earlier, if your stamping, use it with a sepia colour pad, then the outline doesn't show when you paint the image.

11. miss pickle

You used to make your own stencils astra? :eek: The design? Oh dear I wouldn't be very good at that coz I'm pants at art. I need it all done for me.
    Are there any really good transfers? :) Where I can just transfer? Maybe that would be easier for me on the odd item?
    And with the sponge do I start in the middle and work my way out? I read about it on someone's blog about which way to work but can't remember now smiley-confused013.gif and can't remember who's blog :( I think I'm tired now. Been a long day :confused:
    I'm going into Exeter tomorrow so I'm gonna do a list.

Is this ink stuff OK for over oil? That kiabs sister uses? Sorry :( everybody probably busy on a Saturday night. I forget others have a life :oops: I will go and do my shopping list :D

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can use Stazon on most surfaces cellophane, aluminum foil, leather,acrylic, glass metal & most other non porous surfaces.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  13. miss pickle

OK. :confused: Outline??? Don't worry I will know what you mean when I look it up I hope. And sepia colour :confused: god I am stoopid. What does this mean kiab smiley-confused013.gif I will Google :D

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget the Trade paints and save money, you will find any leading brand paint from B&Q (they do a range of paints from Craig & Rose that are well worth a look at), also Wickes etc are better value and just as good to get you well on the road to success.

15. miss pickle

Why would you put it on cellophane :eek: or foil ? Will it go on wood :) painted in oil :) I'm gonna go in a craft shop tommorow and have a look. Hopefully it will be a quiet shop with an expert. Hope they are open Sundays :oops:

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have a look at the link for their shop I posted earlier.
    You can use it on wood thats been painted but not bare wood as it's porous.

You can doing wonderful things stamping on foil, cellophane,acetate, see this link.

Will have to get my sister to post a reply about stamping, etc, she craft crazy, makes her own acetate stencils with a die cutting machine, she does mosst crafts.

17. miss pickle

God I wish I'd spoke to you before I bought them :( I was trying to buy the good stuff thinking it would be a better job. And Christ don't that oil stuff get a really thick skin on it :eek: in no time at all? Are you supposed to peel the skin off before you thin it :confused: I'm a slow worker, hence the paint skin:rolleyes: or peel off and just stir? :)
    Well thanks anyhow astra. You have just saved me a fortune.
    I'm going with zinssers bullseye and cheaper paint from now on. Water based fast drying.

18. miss pickle

Going to watch them now. Thanks kiab :)

19. miss pickle

Oh my god :eek: and you lot think I ramble??? Check this american chick out with the stamps :D

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix have a real decent promotion on at the moment 2.5 litres of Zinsser 123 Bullseye @ £29.15 that's almost £18.00 cheaper than my preferred trade outlet:eek: