Mist coat before thermal lining paper

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Mar 29, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Had room newly plastered.

Solid exterior wall has always caused problems with condensation and mould so would like to put up Wallrock KV600 thermal liner paper with 2 coats of mould resistant paint on top (maybe using a paint additive like VC175).

Should I mist coat the fresh plaster walls first before applying the special thermal adhesive for this thermal paper?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Read what the wallrock ready mixed says for preparing plaster.
    I think you can add water to it and size walls to seal. Last one I done I used gardz but that my trap moisture which you may not what to do.

Then paste the wall and hang the wallrock

I would then think about using a breathable paint and you can add the vc175 to that vs any vinyl paint that will trap moisture.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thin the WallRock adhesive 50% and use it to size/prime the wall then leave overnight to fully dry before hanging the thermal liner.

4. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Thanks Wayners.

As for breathable paint, well thistle bonding and multi finish has been plastered on this wall so using breathable paints would be redundant.

I'm planning to use a good quality paint like Farrow & Ball and just be sensible about ventilation in the room and use of a dehumidifier to keep condensation under control.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Slightly confused. Use only part of the adhesive, say a quarter of the 10kg bucket and mix that with 50% water and prime the wall. Then next day apply the adhesive as normal to the wall and apply the lining paper?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes because after this process the wall is sealed/ primed. Have you read the manufacturers instructions as it will tell you the same.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  7. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Erfurt May (manufacturer) don't seem to have specific instructions on sizing. Just say porous surfaces will need sizing.

Eventually got round to speaking to two people from this company...one recommended using their specific product for this which is about £10-15...no surprise there:

https://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-ma...ories/wallrock-multipurpose-pva-sealer-primer

The other recommended just sizing with 4 to 1 diluted PVA.

To me that multipurpose pva product just seems like a fancy packaged and labelled overpriced diluted PVA which I can knock up myself.

Anyway I'd probably go with your recommendation of using the half diluted thermal adhesive itself.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Only 'probably' ...how many more people are you going to ask, Wayners gave you the same advice in his first reply. I can't help you any further as you constsntly doubt the information you receive no matter what the question. :(

9. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Haha sorry mate. I will rather than probably.
    Thinning the thermal adhesive itself for sizing is better than using pva.

Its just so much contradicting information out there for whatever job you want to do....confuses you.

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.