Mist coat when using trade paint?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sharon Xuereb, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Sharon Xuereb

Sharon Xuereb New Member

I have spoke to 2 decorators, and they can't agree on this, so I'm lost!

Have had a house plastered, and now it needs decorating. One guy said just use Trade paint and you'll be fine, only 2 coats of that. The other one says: You always do a mist coat, and then 2 coats of the regular paint.

Any thoughts?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

New plaster always a mist coat with matt emulsion,NOT vinyl matt, will most likely need to rub down any blemishes, & fill any area's that may need touching up, then another mist coat,then your final finish.

Mist coat could be 60/40, 70/30,etc, water dilution depends on the matt emulsion, some is like cottage,cheese, other thin & runny.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Sharon Xuereb likes this.
  3. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

I have a painter that I’m using atm that mist coats with a graco sprayer....Done all the prep of masking up and mist coated the whole house in under a day for £160.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Not read all of ur idiotic posts but the above suggestion seems to make perfect sense :)

I would honestly like to understand what you and similiar idiots actually get from making multiple posts of total garbage ? I really can’t fathom it out ?

As for personal attacks on members, really disgraceful and sick, you need to be dealt with and eradicated from this forum

5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

He needs to get rid of that spayer it's loosing him money!

6. Sharon Xuereb

Sharon Xuereb New Member

I'm a bit confused because the more experienced decorator said you don't need a mist coat at all. He said just 2 coats of Trade Paint ... Which sounded ok, though maybe a bit expensive for paint. But then I read about Trade/Contractor paint, and it seems it doesn't wear well at all. Well the tenant will have a dog, so I need it to be ok if it needs wiping down etc.

7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Do what the second bloke advised. Mist coat with a contract matt (non vinyl) and then paint with 2 coats of vinyl matt.

8. Sharon Xuereb

Sharon Xuereb New Member

Excuse my ignorance (but that's why I'm here:)), why does the mist coat need to be non-vinyl contract matt, but it's ok for the other 2 coats to be vinyl matt? Thanks

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member