Mitre joint

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hover Tim, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

Hello chippies
    I am doing a job for someone and i need to joint two sheets of MDF together i was thinking of a maitre with a grove cut down and a grove on the other board and a length of timber say 10mm wide to hold the miter in place as i don't want to screw it is there another way to join boards

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

yeah you can biscuit joint it but you've gotta have the tool to do it with.

3. makita49

makita49 New Member

Whats the job for?

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

mitre is the wrong joint for boards. what is the job for

playing secret squirrel wont get you the answer you want

5. joesoap

joesoap New Member

H'mmm he's still hovering eh???

6. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

i am not hovering at the moment hopefully soon though!!
    the job is for a heater cover

7. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Ok Tim no sweat, no offence meant Cheers !

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the quickest most effective method is a biscuit jointer

9. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Tim
    The question is still unclear , if your struggling come again , help is here if required. Cheers !

10. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

Ok
    i am making a heater cover and i am not sure which joint to use at the corners as i dont want to screw it

11. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

Hi Blokes. I ain't a chippie,so shoot me down in flames if you want, but as I understand the problem, Tim wants to join 2 MDF boards at 90 degrees & is asking about rebating each board & then beefing up the joint with 10mm square strip.....sounds OK to me...

Regards, Malkie

12. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Ok Tim
    Really it's down to what your using and what tools you have and the designs are wide and varied. I'm sure some one here can pass you a patented plan and you could take it from there. To join say 6 or 8 mm pegboard mdf would not suffice . If you can router you could house the front in to a frame and use sold ends and top with a shaped plinth. To butt two 10mm boards without fixings is not on. Go look at a ready made job and start again. Good luck . I'm sure a plan will be with you from here soon. Cheers !

13. joesoap

joesoap New Member

that should read Solid ends

14. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

....Tim, I think that you would be better off with a 20 or 25 mm strip if you want to glue &/or pin it..Malkie...

15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

butt joints in MDF, biscuits

corner joints in MDF, biscuits

tee joints in MDF, biscuits

a cant make it any plainer, USE BISCUITS and stop listening to the drivelling numbskulls

16. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

Hi DD. Maybe Tim hasn't got a biscuit jointer...Hardly worth buying for one job. If he rebates the edges, he can use a router or even a circular saw at a push. I'm sure that your's is the correct way, but sometimes us amatuers have to compromise (bodge ?)....

17. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Why not just screw it together and fill the screw holes.What is all this rubbish about biscuits.The biscuits wont hold the joint together until the glue is set
    If you wanted to be fussy the corners should be mitred glued and pinned

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Personally, I would butt it, glue it, and fix it inside with stretcher plates(90°)for the corners, IF the design allowed for the brackets to be hidden.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dont some of you ever listen

biscuits are for lining up joints

never mitre structural joints (in any medium, timber, MDF, MFC) they have no strength and you cant reliably cut a long mitre

dont pin MDF joints it splits the MDF
    screws in MDF always predrill use 3.5mm dia screws (not 4.0)

gluing joints is a given, didnt think it had to be said

20. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Now Deedsy
    There's more than one way to skin a cat so put the cork on the bottle and relax. It is Sunday you know. Cheers !