Mitre joint

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hover Tim, Jan 11, 2007.

1. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

We know biscuits are for lining up joints so advising this guy to use them is pointless its hardly difficult to line the corner up.
    As I said the mdf endgrain looks **** even with your biscuits the proper way is a mitre(a radiator cabinet is hardly structural).Pins would hold the joint till the glue sets.
    Pins-99p
    Biscuit jointer biscuits-£30

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

always use biscuits for this. all this corner brackets and supporting pieces nonsense is rubbish. biscuit and screw it if you can if not just biscuit it.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

biscuit joint are not just for lining up you get more strength from a biscuited corner joint than you would from a pinned joint or perhaps you arent aware of how a biscuit actually works plus time wise it is a damn sight quicker and any decent painter can make end grain mdf look the same as the face

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Also where do you get that a mitre is the way it should be done was that from the same place that you found out you shouldnt let hinges in on a jamb ie yorkshire

5. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

If the mdf is not perfectly flat ,which it often isn,t how do your precious biscuits hold the joint together goldenboy.We,ve all heard the old"The painter can cover it up" line .
    Have you ever fit mdf skirting ?
    Would you butt the external corners ready for the painter to cover up.If not why not ,the 2 foot high butt joint on your radiator cabinet will stick out like a sore thumb and the biscuits will be doing fuck all

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Biscuits to join 10mm mdf corner joints(butt or mitre) I would like to see it work.

I just don't see how.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Just to add a few more pennies worth - How about pocket holes and screws & glue!

Shedmen

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

you really are showing your total lack of knowledge yorkshiregirl. Skirting is mitred to ensure that the moulding follows round. I make plenty of furniture and my biscuit jointer is one of my most used tools. Maybe you just dont know how to use one probably. i also used to work as a sprayer so i know full well what the capabilities of mdf end grain is and that if it is used in the correct manner it looks exactly the same as the face. you however are exposing your limited skills by saying that MDF endgrain looks awful. That has nothing to do with the mdf that has to do with your incompetence. do you really think I am going to take advice off a northener who cant even hang a door correctly. MDF is a modern product and biscuit jointers are modern tools. i bet you dont even own a biscuit jointer. in terms of the mdf not being flat use a cramp. You really are exposing your total lack of knowledge. you stick to putting shelves up and hanging doors wrong and i'll stick to what i do best. oh and my butt joints dont stick out a mile at all take a look at any piece ive done and you wouldnt be able to tell it was. Oh and handy andy where do you buy your 10mm mdf from cos that is an unusual size or perhaps you work to a 10% tolerance

9. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

hey, I know this might be a little bit late know, but ive just had a bright spark in my head, now depending on how think the MDF is, depends on if it would work.

We had to mitre sum kitchen worktops together a few months ago, after cutting the mitre on both worktops, we then routered out space for bolts & nuts to go inside the boards..... tightened the nuts and they held together, obviously we glued and stuff just thought I'd share what I've done in the past.

10. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Calm down goldenboy..;)
    Do you really think I am going to take advice from a paint sprayer(and a southerner).
    You told the o.p to just biscuit it you never mentioned cramps,it may be possible to get perfect looking endgrain but unlikely on site.
    My mitre would not need any covering up,making it the superior joint.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

surely you dont need to be told about using cramps. that kind of thing goes without saying do you want me to tell you how to sharpen your pencil, brew up your yorkshire tea or make your hovis sandwiches.no. my joint takes a lot less time than yours and if done properly by someone who knows what they are doing looks the same if not better than yours. plus is a lot stronger. Modern world,modern tools make money.

12. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

Ok after reading all of your ideas i have dicided to go with dove tails they are a ball ache to do look great thanks for all the help
    Tim

13. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Please tell me you're having us on ?

....with regards to dovetailing the carcass of your radiator cover using MDF.

It's true dovetails are a framing joint, but not for use in MDF. I wouldn't even know what rake (angle) to set your dovetails at for MDF !? Your tails and pins will not take a lot of putting together and taking apart while you're checking for a good fit. They will bruise very easily and possibly break if you're not careful. It is possible to do, but completely pointless. One of the reasons dovetails in wood look so attractive , is seeing the end grain of the pins and the tails alternating......what effect will you achieve with MDF ? Once they've been sanded and painted ?

These are man made boards you're using....posh cardboard to be honest. Dovetails weren't developed century's ago for MDF.

Stop mucking about and use biscuits to join your MDF. It's what the biscuit jointer was made for.

14. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

....and before anyone tells me he might not have one....

....hire one for a few quid.

15. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

what about if i cut the dove tails straight anyway this is what my tutors at collage have suggested

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dovetails in mdf, what idot suggested that nonsense, MDF has to be machined

somebody said a biscuit jointer at £30 was too expensive

a dovetail jig and router is at least 10 time more expensive

17. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

your tutors have clearly NEVER worked MDF by hand

18. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

what about if i cut the dove tails straight anyway
    this is what my tutors at collage have suggested

I don't understand what you mean 'straight away' ? You don't have to worry about MDF shrinkage as you would with timber, (MDF does shrink and expand but not at a level you need worry about).

Do you not have a biscuit jointer at college you could use ?

I find it hard to believe a wood occupations college teacher would suggest dovetailing as a time honoured way of joining MDF ?!?

19. foxy

foxy New Member

Dovetial MDF... ***!:(
    Those who can...do.
    Those who can't..teach.

Biscuit join it so the end grain is on the side, smear of filler over said endgrain, sand, good coat of paint.

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Dowels, anyone ? :)

Can't remember who said it(about 10mm mdf) No. Never used it. Never used anything other than 18mm, hence didn't know what smaller sizes are (11mm is it ?).

Mr. HandyAndy - really