Mitre joint

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hover Tim, Jan 11, 2007.

1. beechwood

beechwood New Member

hover i agree with yorkshire mitre the joint as it will not need any work to cover the joint. glue,pin. and your strip timber in the back screwed to the mdf through the back.this will be strong enough and with the shelf on the top will provide extra stability. the finish will be pucker. remember this anyone can make something but not everyone can finish something.

2. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Mitres are very unforgiving. To cut two well fitting 45 degree mitres, the full height of the heater cover / radiator cover ?!

Good luck mate. You'll most certainly need it.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Long mitres and MDF dont really go together. Bear in mind that MDF is an entirely modern product which needs to be treated and worked in a modern way. Biscuit jointers were developed primarily for working modern manmade boards so why not use that technology. There are no traditional methods of working MDF but some people will have you believe there are. Biscuiting would take 2 mins tops how long to mitre pin glue a strip in? a lot longer. Nevermind if people want to be pigheaded that is their prerogative. I work MDF a lot and know what way works best for me and what makes money and results in work to the highest standard. And that is not ignoring technology and blindly pushing on in a misguided way. For Christs Sake this is a basic basic thing to do on a painted job and people are just trying to be too clever. Suggesting dogbolts and reinforcing strips etc etc. Modern material modern methods

4. beechwood

beechwood New Member

you all make mitre joints sound like hard work. they are not. they are quick enough with a pucker finish!

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

So Mr. Beechwood.

You tell me how this young lad, with the tools he has available, is going to cut two perfectly fitting 45 degree mitres probably over a metre long ?

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

precisely but hey this guy wiil probably take the advice of people so detached from reality and the modern age that they think that cutting 1000mm long mitres is a better way of joining MDF than biscuits. Biscuits were invented for jointing manmade boards like this

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

precisely but hey this guy wiil probably take the advice of people so detached from reality and the modern age that they think that cutting 1000mm long mitres is a better way of jointing MDF than biscuits. Biscuits were invented for jointing manmade boards like this

8. beechwood

beechwood New Member

skillsaw and straight edge clamped on. no problem what so ever. dunno what you would use but ive done mitres floor to ceiling on mdf before no problems at all.

9. foxy

foxy New Member

You must have a very straight, straight edge.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

i still maintain you get a stronger, quicker and neater job by biscuiting.

11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

floor to ceiling mitres, you aint no carpenter

mitre joints have no strength

12. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Ooooh Missus.......71 posts on mitreing MDF...

You must have an extremely long straight, straight edge and a very skilful skilsaw.....

Go on.....just for a giggle......what were you making that required floor to ceiling mitre joints in MDF ? How did you join the mitres ? Mitre-Fast ? I'd love to have been there....:)

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Either that or a very low ceiling like 169mm high. I have seen guys with 40 years experience struggle to cut spot on mitres that long all clamped up on 10k panel saws. although possible and acheivable unfortunately mate you are lying if you say you do these joints with no trouble whatsoever and with not even the need for a smidgen of filler. are you seriously telling me you cut perfect 8ft plus mitres on a regular basis. Although with great care attention and time I could cut them to get me out of trouble, I would never recommend to someone to do them as a matter of routine. Perhaps my friend the issue here is that your definition of pukker and my and others definition differ somewhat

14. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

floor to ceiling mitres, you aint no carpenter

mitre joints have no strength

Haven,t posted on this for a bit but as its still up.
    I advised the op to screw the joint I only said mitre if he wanted it perfect.
    I once fitted out a motorcycle showroom in hardboard with a brick effect on the face,floor to ceiling mitres on every corner.Cut by hand back then and no other method would work.
    There is more strength in a glued mitre joint than a butt joint as the 45 degree cut gives more gluing area.

15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

yorkshireboy, pigs dont fly.

PERFECT 8 foot mitre joints (plural) on hardboard, cut by hand. yeah you are the first carpenter in history

16. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Strikes me there's been more input to this post than to the new Wembley stadium , and all for a rad cabinet. Who would ever have thought it would come to this. Take a bow Hover Tim , and just as a matter of interest, what's the latest and are you happy with the end result ? Assuming it is ended Cheers !

17. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

The relpies or the job?

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Definately more strength in a biscuited butt joint than a glued mitre. brick effect hardboard. Nice. Bet the sweeeney was the hottest thing on the box then grandad

19. joesoap

joesoap New Member

The job of course Tim. Cheers !

20. beechwood

beechwood New Member

you all have very little faith in peoples ability. mr mike, you only need a straight edge as long as what your cutting! and it was cupboard in a bathroom that was to hide a boiler on the wall and fit a washing machine underneath. no mitre fast smart **** just normal pva will do and scewed through 2x2 in the corner at the back so no need for filler on the front and all the strength you could want to make your heart content.