Mitre joint

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hover Tim, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

i am just waiting for some power to be ut in my new workshop then away i go

2. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I have decided to make a radiator cabinet from oak veneered manmade board,how do I join the corners?...;)

3. prince

prince New Member

****** hell, all this about a rad cover. I cant believe anyone would recommend a mitre joint. As has been said, no strength at all. Im glad Im not employing you, I would be out of business in days.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

In that case yorkshireboy mitre them and once together do a 10x10 rebate and glue in a a 11x11 piece of solid sand it flush to prevnt knocks

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Thanks for the straight edge tips Beechy.
    You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
    Has nothing to do with faith in people's ability.
    It has all to do with the quality of advice that people give and receive, and the suggestions I made (and others first for that matter) are from a more 'traditional' approach to joinery.

As for being a smart ****, who dived in with mitres are a piece of p*ss, dunno what all the fuss is about ? I think a lot of people's perceptions of what a perfect fitting mitre is are very different.

My **** is smart, and my winkle even smarter. ;).

6. beechwood

beechwood New Member

well fair enough mr micky. we disagree but a mitre works for me on my jobs and obviously has for other people otherwise it wouldnt have been suggested. like you say we do it our own ways. and how much more traditional can you get than a mitre joint. thats all ive been trying to say is i and many others have never had problems with mitre joints on mdf and i think it was made such a big deal of. maybe your way is better, but a mitre would look the better job.