Mixer shower cuts off cold water when it heats up.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Steven Morton, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Steven Morton

Steven Morton New Member

We recently upgraded from gravity fed system to a combi boiler. As soon as the combi was installed our mixer shower stopped letting any cold water through when it got up to any temperature.
    Even if the temperature dial was then put fully to cold, no cold water would get through.

After taking some advice we were advised to install a new mixer cartridge which was suitable for a combi boiler.
    I have just installed the new mixer cartridge after having to drill the existing one out.
    I turned the water back on only to be faced with the exact same problem.

If you call for cold water when the shower is first turned on it comes through no problem, as soon as the mixer cartridge gets any heat in it it completely closes off all cold water to the shower. again even turning the temperature valve to cold it stops all water.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Hot and cold supplies switched? Is it an exposed valve where you can see the hot and cold supply pipes? Check that the right hand side is cold.

3. Steven Morton

Steven Morton New Member

Unforuatly it's a concealed mixer shower, I've take the face plate off to see if I could get into the hot and cold feeds but it's been tiled tight against the mixer cartridge housing.