Mixer Tap - grub screws losing bite

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Fiorano, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Fiorano

Fiorano New Member

Hi I recently replaced the cartridges on our Kitchen Mixer tap. My problem is after a few days both handles start to move passed their stop positions as though the grub screws are losing their bite.

Is the a way I can loosen the cartridges ? Any tips greatly welcomed

Fiorano

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Active Member

Do they feel a lot tighter to turn than the previous ones? Is that the reason why the handles try to slip?

There are dozens of replacement cartridges out there and some vary by only a mm or so. It is possible that your new cartridge is fractionally longer than the old one, so the end silicone washer is being squished a lot more which then compresses the the two halves of the ceramic disc tighter together.

When you fit new cartridges, they should screw in easily until almost the very end - when the silicone washer starts to seat. Then another half turn or so should have it bedded nicely with it hard to tighten further (to the best of my recollection).

If, instead, you find that the cartridge 'bottoms out' and you then have to give it a good couple of turns to tighten it fully, it may be a tad too long.

Take the handle off and see how hard it is to turn the spindle. Slacken off the cartridge a quarter turn and recheck. A quart further etc.

Or, if it's simply that the handle is slipping, note where the grub screw has marked the splined shaft and use a 3 or 4mm drill to go in a couple of mm in there to give it a good notch for the grub screw to sit in next time.