Mixer tap question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bluewizard, Apr 11, 2008.

1. bluewizard

bluewizard New Member

Evening Chaps,
    I have recently installed a bath mixer tap, It is a 3 hole design, the spout occupying the centre hole and the taps the 2 outer holes. I guess the water mixes in the pipes before the spout as aposed to within the spout.
    My problem is that when the bath taps are off and either the the taps on the basin are used or if the toilet is flushed, the bath tap sometimes trickles a small amount of water.
    Clearly if someone is in the bath at the time and this happens, it can be quite unpleasant and sometimes painful if the hot tap was last used, I have 2 young children, which obviously heightens my concern.
    The cold supplies to the bath, basin and toilet are from the rising main and the hot from the gravity fed dhwc.
    Sorry for the long post but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks, Ian.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Either the tap is faulty and not turning off properly or more likely it has a large spout. These can hold quite a bit of water which can then be released when air or movement cause it to be released....if you get my drift :)

3. bluewizard

bluewizard New Member

Thanks Captain, The tap does indeed have a large spout, so is there a valve of any description that would stop/reduce movement further down the pipework affecting the contents of the spout? Thanks again, Ian

4. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Thanks Captain, The tap does indeed have a large
    spout, so is there a valve of any description that
    would stop/reduce movement further down the pipework
    affecting the contents of the spout? Thanks again, Ian

Assuming that the bath taps are turned off then I think that the fact that the problem occurs when you turn another tap on must just be a coincidence.

There is no way that I can think of where turning another tap on could affect the bath tap (if it is turned off)

5. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

Bluewizard,

As the captain said it will be water retention in the spout. I suppose you could fit single check valves to the incoming supply but that may affect the pressure you have at the taps if your systems is poor and I also doubt it would do any good anyway.

That is the issue with spouts of that size.

6. screwfox

screwfox New Member

oliver.

What about if turning on other taps causes water hammer. The vibration could cause the spout to release its held water?

To the original poster - after filling the bath give the spout a tap, it may then release whatever water remains. As the others posted, when you have turned of the taps, unless they are leaking (unlikely) then the water is just the stored water in the spout.

Hope this helps

7. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

oliver.

What about if turning on other taps causes water
    hammer
    . The vibration could cause the spout to
    release its held water?

To the original poster - after filling the bath give
    the spout a tap, it may then release whatever water
    remains. As the others posted, when you have turned
    of the taps, unless they are leaking (unlikely) then
    the water is just the stored water in the spout.

Hope this helps

That's a very good point screwfox, I hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps it is vibration from water hammer causing it, if so flexis might solve it.

8. bluewizard

bluewizard New Member

Thanks chaps, Ideas much appreciated.