MK Electrics

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by "Professional" DIYer, Nov 9, 2003.

1. supersparky

supersparky New Member

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yea, if any one gets any makover shows into my house and they use em ill kill em lol, but you never know...ther is always one coustemer with the strange tastes,,,,

BR

3. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member

lol just don't apply for changing rooms.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

dont worry, no chance of that

BR

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

whilst we are on the subject of MK, last week(just before the postal strike) i asked MK to send me some product litriture, im not sure if they delivered it by courrier because of the strike, but catalogues by courrier!!! thats good service. im starting to love MK like the fat kid love cake ;)

BR

6. sparky (Original)

hay you callen me fat

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

lol, no
    you had any experience with hager? seems resonably priced stuff

BR

8. sparky (Original)

yep they are good quality stuff nicely priced and ideal for domestic consumer units

9. Cheers.

Yeh Hager are great. I used much of their 3 phase stuff, it's all well layed out, looks good and is pretty safe.

10. Earthman

Earthman New Member

Excellent question and one I asked myself about six months ago. I've just rewired my 100 year old period property (just in time it seems if I've followed the Part P Building Regs. posts correctly) and I chose Crabtree wiring accessories, but MK CU and protection (vicar). For two reasons - 1 Aethestics - Crabtree looked more appropriate for a period property - the MK Logic plus stuff is very nice but a bit TOO trendy looking particularly the way the sockets taper at the top but not at the bottom. Her indoors also liked the Crabtree slighly concave switches, which again are slightly bigger than MK. (2) Technical. I did a comparison of MK vs Crabtree double sockets in terms of size and noticed something very interesting. The Crabtree sockets are "thicker" on the outside which means that there is less depth inside the KO box. The MK sockets are thinner on the face and 3 or 4 mm thicker inside the KO box. What this means in practise is that with Crabtree sockets it is not too difficult to get three 2.5mm cables (ring plus spur) into back of a Crabtree socket and the whole lot back into 25mm deep KO box. With MK it can still be done but it's more difficult, and can get a bit tight particularly if you have to link to some old cables rather than all new. Although having said that the MK terminals are very slightly bigger and at a better angle to get the screwdriver in. Consumer Unit. I choose MK5686 Split Load - the old grey coloured square one not the new trendy looking Magnolia unit. I just thought the MK unit looked and felt more solid. So, it's down to personal choice in the end. I'm a DIY Amateur but most of the card carrying electricians I know swear by Crabtree or MK and not much else. Crabtree from SCrewfix, MK from TLC Direct.

11. supersparky

supersparky New Member

sparky u registered with one of the bodys?

12. sparky (Original)

yep niceic
    you?

13. supersparky

supersparky New Member

no still weighin up between nic ab eca :-|

where abouts are you?

BR

14. sparky (Original)

Devon where is u?

15. supersparky

supersparky New Member

south east, not a hell of a distance from me, got to cornwall a fair bit so devon is well known to me lol
    The advantage of living in a small country.......
    BR