MK Grid Plus

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mcooper2406, Jan 22, 2019.

1. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

Afternoon All,

Just looking at the MK modular system to have 3 modules in to control under counter fridge, washer and drier.

My question is do I have to wire in to each module separately or does the frame handle that? Getting a little confused from the diagrams?

I'm thinking the ring in, ring out, 3 tails to the unstitched sockets for the utilities and then linking the modules will just be an insane amount of cable in a back box?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Cheers

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Personally I wouldn't put that much load on one part of the ring. Maybe if I new it was in a fairly "central" location I might.

3. mcooper2406

How would you suggest I do it? I don't really have much choice as that is the utility room.

That sounds a little bad attitudy, it wasn't supposed to it was a genuine question haha

4. mcooper2406

I should add they are all currently together in what is the utility room at the moment with no issues and I believe it's fairly central on the ring.

What issues would it cause?

Thanks

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It could end up overload part of the ring. Personally I would run in a 32a radial on 4mm but that probably isn't an option for you. I don't work as an electrician so maybe one of the lads will be along in a minute with the right answer.

6. mcooper2406

Righto!

It's not really as the DB has no spare spaces. I wouldn't say what you have described was typical though as new builds I've been in have washer and drier in the same room just on the standard socket ring main. Completely agree though if it was feasible that would be a great way to do it.

I find with owning an older house though all the effective planning in the world goes to **** as soon as you try to do something because nothing is ever as it seems and FAR from ideal haha!

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I’d use the deepest back box available - 47mm?

You might be able to squeeze in Wago 221-415 5way connectors. (Ring in / FG / WM / TD / Ring out)

Alternatively you would have to connect 2 cables in each Supply terminal on the modules.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Is it not possible to put sockets/fcu in adjacent cupboards? No unsightly switches above the worktop. Just a thought.

9. Why would you even contemplate using connectors when they are not required.
    The connections on the switches are for terminating the cables,there is no need for extra joints that are not required.

retiredsparks likes this.
  10. mcooper2406

@Comlec I did originally want to just put sockets under the counter but I believe this is against regulations as I need to be able to isolate all of the equipment without touching it so need a switch above counter level.

I don't find the switches too unsightly to be honest especially not the 3 switch plate.

Thanks

11. robertpstubbs

2.5mm2 T+E cables are quite rigid. 1.5mm2 single is much more flexible. Easier to just have 1 cable in each module terminal.

12. mcooper2406

Is that allowable though? so it would be ring in and out on one module and the rest linked with 1.5mm2 singles?

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Rings are only permitted to be a minimum of 2.5mm phase/neutral (except for two-core mineral insulated cables for all the pedants out there).

14. mcooper2406

That's what I understood too @Coloumb

15. robertpstubbs

16. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Not the case. All that is required is a means of local isolation for maintenance. A plug and socket is an acceptable means of isolation, providing it is accessible without removing the appliance. Actually it is a far better means of isolation than an FCU or single pole switch as unplugging and appliance disconnects all live conductors (L and N) not just the line conductor (L).
    Also, it is good practice to label the isolators if their function is not obvious. That is why you see the fancy engraved gird plates in posh kitchens.

17. robertpstubbs

You don’t need to engrave the grid plates. The MK (and other) grid switches have the appliance name in the switch itself.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I didn't say you need to engrave them - just that fancy engraved plate exist. The point was about clearly identifying the isolator.