Mobiles constant charging

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by teabreak, Aug 7, 2018.

1. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Wonder if anyone has any idea how much extra energy all the mobile devices we use are gobbling up?
    I have a phone that makes phone calls, battery lasts about a week, Mrs has a smart phone and I have a tablet, both of which need charging every other day or often once a day. While the individual device uses very little power, with all the mobile devices around the world just think how much power that must add up to.

All those eco warriors texting their mates, posting rants about saving the planet and videos to match might be part of the problem. :D:D:D

2. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Car charging points springing up everywhere but national grid say they can cope. Think led bulbs help on street lights and homes. I do think about it though as 6000 new homes near me being built

3. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Active Member

The people using the Screwfix forum are using energy. Does that make us a bad lot?

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I'll save DA the trouble. I think it depends how you voted....

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Stop being concerned about the little things, you have fallen into the trap set by the energy companies and politicians. In a thermal power station that uses heat from oil, coal or nuclear, to generate, only 40% of the energy in the fuel is converted to electricity, the rest is lost as heat. 40% efficient is as good as my diesel car, which is being demonised at present.

6. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Have you considered having it excorcised at the next MOT?:):)

7. Bob Rathbone

Would holy water in the washer bottle work? I can do that today.:)

WillyEckerslike and teabreak like this.
  8. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Active Member

Mrs S and I have to smile when we are in a restaurant and a couple, obviously on a romantic date, spend the time gazing into their mobiles. Maybe they are sending love messages to each other.

Jord86 likes this.
  9. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

or, to their next dates?????

10. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Could never understand how so much energy isn't cost effective to capture

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Yes, every man jack of them....lol
    Rs

12. Bob Rathbone

If you generate your own electricity from gas or oil using an internal combustion engine, you can capture a good proportion of the wasted energy and use it to heat the house. If you run the generator in parallel with the supply, a small unit could be used to satisfy heating demand, with the excess being exported and the extra electricity being drawn from the public supply. HOWEVER, the power companies have made it almost impossible for home brew Combined heat and power to become a reality. Does anyone here remember the Fiat Totem system from late 1970, that suffered none of the barriers currently put in place. I am aware of the need for synchronisation and for disconnection in the event of a supply failure, that is easy to achieve using an induction generator.