mods to gas fire

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bcountry, May 16, 2006.

1. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Need to check the best way of capping a gas supply off so I can get a gas man to quote over the phone;
    Have a gas fire which we don't use because in all honesty I think its a danger - Its been coated with a mottle effect by the previous house owner and stinks when on.
    I want to change this to an electric stove fire so I have no need for the gas supply but don't want to completely remove it as we may want a gas fire put in in a few years time (when the little one grows up and wont be throwing his toys into it!). At the moment the gas supply comes through the floor to the side of the fireplace from a cellar below and enters straight into a restrictor elbow mounted flush on the floor.
    QUESTION:
    Do I ask my gas man (and is it possible) to remove the valve section of the restrictor elbow and cap off or will he have to cap off after the valve section on a small section of pipe.
    The restrictor elbow is made up of three sections - the base with a round, flat base, a centre section of straight pipe and the elbow section with valve.
    Any advise gratefully received

2. Gassman

Gassman New Member

Anything can be done but I would think you would want to cap it off underfloor in the cellar. I would expect a job like this to incur a first hour charge.

3. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Thanks Gasseous Man
    Cant cap it in the cellar as this would involve ripping down plasterbord I have just put up and decorated!! :(
    If I can co anything the I think I will ask him to cap it at the base section of the restrictor elbow section so it is as close to the floor as possible. This will also mean a new gas fire can be installed in the future if and when required.
    Would you considor this something a competent diyer can do? as I assume it is just a screw on cap with some sort of gasket. I want to get a gas man in to do it but if its not worth his time he may not be interested.

4. Gassman

Gassman New Member

Psssss BANG :)
    No that was unfair. Seriously though I am sure a competent DIY person could do it but there is always that possibility of a gas escape from those old rusty pipes under the floor as a result of movement. And as I doubt you have a U guage/manometer, and you would void your household insurance, and might endanger others I would recommend you pay that minimum charge. Daylight robbery though that may seem. Just a suggestion why not try and tie it up with a boiler service or similar small job and ask the engineer to do it while he's there.

5. Gassman

Gassman New Member

Me again. If that stink you speak of were gas it might be adviseable to phone your gas supplier, they would come out free of charge. The only trouble is they might disconnect your gas fire (hopefully not everything else).

6. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Thanks fella.
    Pipes in the cellar were all modified when I converted it into a room (by the gas man) so they are all sound. Smell is not gas I think it partly the coating the previous owner sprayed the fire in - yes - they sprayed the fire with a finish!
    Im gonna get the gas man I know to do it when he is passing. I put a CH job his way a month or so ago so he owes me my commission ;) All being well I shoulnt get fleeced.

7. I do not encourage DIY gas work on boilers or gas pipework.

However, I would not be greatly concerned if I heard of a careful DIYer who had closed the inner valve part of a restrictor elbow and plugged the outlet and then carefully tested for leaks with soapy water.

That carries very little risk compared with the DIY boiler repairs we hear about where people replace fans and APSs.

Minor gas leaks rarely cause explosions but there are considerably greater risks from fires and carbon monoxide poisoning following DIY boiler repairs.

Tony

8. PhilGPS

PhilGPS New Member

if your report a smell from your fire, the service provider will come and check it for free and if it is dangerous or against the regs(e.g. painted) they will disconnect it from the supply for free, maybe not in the point you want it tho.

9. plummit

plummit New Member

Hello Tony,
    As far as I can recall, they advised against using soapy water for checking for gas leaks, and advise gas leak detection fluid. Any help Tony on this would be appreciated.

10. kimble

kimble New Member

I think the reason leak detection fluid is advised is that most people would reach for the fairy which has a high chloride level which is corrosive to metals. Hence why your pans come out so sparkly clean

11. plummit

plummit New Member

Hello Kimble,
    Cant be ars5d to go to the van, but I believe leak detection fluid should also be cleaned off pipes after use.