Mohair roller that doesn't drop fibers constantly??!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Man Like Mike, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Man Like Mike

Man Like Mike New Member

Absolutely sick of this. Have been using synthetic mohair rollers to apply some oil paint on a piece of furniture I built - the first coat, first roller I used out of a 2 pack did a lovely smooth first coat, then after washing it was dropping fibers all over the place, used a new one out of the pack and it did the same thing - bought a whole different 10 pack of the same rollers to just use once for each coat and they're doing it too even on the first use.

FYI I've been washing them all before use, in water, then white spirit, rolling them over painters tape when dry to remove loose fibers - literally makes no difference. They're 'Dulux' brand. Avoid...

Getting so sick of having to sand down each coat because of the fiber dropping of the rollers! Can someone please recommend me a great 4" synthetic mohair roller that does not do this?

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

brush sponge rag try

3. Man Like Mike

Man Like Mike New Member

Eh? I don't really want to use a brush as I don't want brush strokes.

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

5. Man Like Mike

Man Like Mike New Member

Sponge what? Apply it with a sponge? It's undercoated and needs to be a smooth finish, wouldn't a sponge just move the paint around and be swirly and stippled?

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Try the ice fusion rollers

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why not try spraying the furniture ?

I get a much better finish and an even coat and it even dries quicker

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1.

A HVLP sprayer will give a superb finish.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try Hamiltons 4" felt rollers.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member