Moldy calk around windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Satman68, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Satman68

Satman68 New Member

I have moldy calk around my PVC windows. I only have it around my new (18 months old)windows and not around the older PVC windows over 10 years old. Is this down to cheap calk, should I use a calk suitable for outside, or silicone based sealant? Can anyone advise as I am redecorating one of the rooms with this problem, I have removed the moldy/mildew calk and I need to know what to use instead.

Thanks in advance

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

That my friend would be efflorescence caused by damp . I guess from the window fitters not sealing it right, you want a good silicon sealant around the outside and inside but paint first then seal after. Just check for cracks on the outside around the window area and repair to suit.

3. Satman68

Satman68 New Member

thanks very much, I thought I may need to go this route. The mold/mildew is only at the bottom of the window (where the sill is) so I will silicone just this section.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Satman68

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Do it ALL with silicone.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Satman68

Satman68 New Member

thanks very much, I will replace with silicone. I am angry I have to do as I used a so called goo local company

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Try a good one next time as otherwise you just get goo ;)

7. The reason mould grows on silicon is the presence of moisture.

Is any mould growing in the corner of the glass?

Are the windows in a bathroom or a bedroom with en-suite?

What arrangements are there for ventilation?

It is also possible that there is some sort of cold bridging going on - it maybe that there is insufficient insulation around the edge of the window.

8. Satman68

Satman68 New Member

Thanks. I think all I can do is try the silicone sealant and see how I get on, because the winter is on the way I noticed last time it appeared during then.