monsoon pump problems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jon321, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Does your multi-meter have a capacitance measurement mode? The symbol around the selector dial should look like two plates (capacitor symbol).

If you give the motor a spin manually by hand and then apply power immediately (keeping your hands well away), does it start?

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The capacitor in these pumps is permanently connected to one winding, no centrifugal switch or device to disconnect it when the motor has started. The condition you describe is a classic single phase motor problem when the capacitor has lost it's capacitance, as they do over time. Go onto E Bay and order a similar one, not expensive, around £5.

3. jon321

jon321 New Member

Thank you for your replies Teki and Bob Rathbone - if you look at the video I linked on the previous page the chap describes the condition if the motor is seized or the the capacitor has gone which is a humming noise, As my motor does appear not to be seized it is indicating that the capacitor has gone.
    I have a capacitor on order which should arrive tomorrow show I will update my findings once fitted and hopefully running.
    The place I ordered it from sell quite a few Stuart turner pump parts like seal kits etc the capacitor cost me £16 total with 48hr delivery - So the way I am looking at it if the pump doesn't work and I have to get a new one then very little has been spent trying to get the pump working.

Jon

4. jon321

jon321 New Member

Right as an update - the capacitor arrived this morning and after 10 minutes of replacing the pump back - I switched it on and Its alive happy days and seems quieter than I can remember.
    So the £16 punt was worth it

Thank you for all the replies

Jon