montolit tile cutter keeps snapping 10mm porcelain ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chris1004, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

Hi all, My tile cutter wasn't man enough to cut 60x60 porcelain 10mm thick tiles so i went to a couple of tiling shops, Topps tiles and some other one. I brought the tile with me and we tried cutting it on a pull cut sigma but it just wasnt cutting it kept splitting like in the picture below. Then i went to another place and tried a montolit cutter which worked better but still not ideal. Is there somthing im doing reallly wrong?? both me and 4 other people have struggled 1 of them was a tiler who i asked to see if he could cut with it. Shall I just ditch this new £380 montolit and buy a bloody wet cutter??
    I ended up using my angle grinder with a cutting bit in the end.

Please anyone help as there are many more to cut tomorrow

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Wet cutter would be my weapon of choice.

Essential for hard porcelain tiles.

3. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

Such a shame :( wet cutters make such a mess

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I'm guessing the texture isn't helping. Have you tried snapping the tiles over your knee, that nearly always works for me.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Actually I love my wet cutter because it DOESN'T make a mess. Try using a dry angle grinder if you really want to see mess ... as in dust!

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Porcelain tiles will never cut easily with a scribe tile cutter. They're far too robust right the way through the tile. Ceramic tiles cut well with a scribe cutter only because the scribe weakens the glaze, which is the only robust part of a ceramic tile. Once the glaze has been scribed the rest of the tile snaps nice and cleanly.
    Have you tried drilling into porcelain tiles yet? If not, that pleasure still awaits you. Forget a regular masonry drill, the only thing that will drill a porcelain tile is a diamond tile drill.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

Haha yeah I got a good drilling kit, I dry cut with the angle grinder today and yes it was very very dusty :D cut beautifuly with a angle grinder tho... So I'm thinking i should return my tile cutter and buy a wet saw instead.. i have a ergo cutter from topps tiles that was £200 and it cuts almost all cermaics so i really don't see the point in me having a £380 montolit cutter that doesnt cut porcelain :p

8. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

I did indeed try that earlier and i can tell you it's been a long time since I've had watery eyes :D That **** hurt!

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

I still use a little plasplugs wet cutter with a tiddly little thin diamond wheel. It cost me £29.99 years ago. Done I think 4 kitchens 5 bathrooms 1 shopfit and prob a dozen floors - porcelain, granite, slate up to 10mm thick and 600x600. The little blade is thin and doesnt take much material out. I have a bigger wet cutter but keep coming back to the little plasplugs. this is the latest version https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasplugs-...argid=aud-861019088303:pla-684533893104&psc=1

10. gadget man

gadget man Well-Known Member

Yup, had one of them, great little tool.:)

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Well-Known Member

Me too... not sure exactly when I got mine, but it must be about 20 years ago. I've replaced the wheel only once I think... cost me about £25 at the time, (I think!) And it's also do, 4 kitchens, 3 bathrooms 1 small floor and 1 big floor... And it's been lent out to others a few times as well.

Only issue with it is that it's not good for big ones!

Cando

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

It is if you cut a plywood plate with a hole in the middle for the cutter to fit in to and little support legs on the ply - works a treat :p