Monument 15PC just created a thread!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by David DD, Oct 17, 2018.

1. David DD

David DD Member

What am I doing wrong? Just bought a monument pipe cutter. I lock it place over the pipe and turn in the direction of the arrow. All I get it to do is make a thread as it works it's way along the pipe! Watching the YouTube video makes it look super simple!!

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Is it this one

ae235.jpg

If so it look over completed for what is a simple tool.

Is the blade square to thr body as a degree or two out would cause a threading affect.

I just use this type and it work perfect every time.

67968.jpg

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It shouild automatically cut as it turn around pipe.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It should automatic cutting.

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I've got the 22pc version of this and it works fine. It sounds to me as though the cutting wheel is either loose or out of alignment as isitreally previously said. Try waggling the cutter wheel, is there any free play?

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You need to make sure you turn the cutter on first revolution around pipe without any sideways movement.
    The cut must line up, or it begins to create a thread working along the pipe.
    You could still have a faulty cutter though. Make sure the blade is being pushed tight against the pipe, as the tool is intended to function

David DD and Muzungu like this.
  7. David DD

David DD Member

Thanks guys. It's the plastic one (I just have a small amount of work to do).

I have watched the videos!

Yes there is a little free play on the cutting wheel - maybe a mill and a half?

8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

A mill and a half sounds alot to me, far more than I have on mine. Do you have a spare length of pipe to practice on?

9. David DD

David DD Member

Yes I do! I have successfully cut twice now using the tip above - making sure the first turn is slow with pressure supplied.

Heat and Muzungu like this.
  10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Heat's the pro.

Heat likes this.
  11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

:) I hope so!

David DD likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The all metal pipeslices are fairly easy to use unless you are very rough on them.
    Kopex was a good brand

David DD likes this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve got a non branded, generic style metal auto cut, works brilliantly and cuts pipe in 3 turns (occasional, very occasional new wheel fitted)

Cutter in video looks like effort, around a dozen turns to cut pipe ....., unless cutter used had a hard previous life :D

14. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

One thing to help, rock the cutter a couple of times to get it to start a groove, instead of starting to go round straight away.

15. David DD

David DD Member

Guys, just wanted to feedback that I had a highly successful day plumbing my kitchen. Thanks to your advice (start slow and press hard) I cut all my pipes first time with the cutter.
    Thank you for helping a diy-er who is always willing to learn.

Heat likes this.