More networking probs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by He who seeks knowledge, Dec 17, 2003.

1. A few guys offered some advice to me before on this problem.... it's still here!

I'm using a PC running WinXP to connect to the internet via Broadband. I want to surf the net on my laptop (also XP) via a cross-wired network cable.

I've done the network sharing util. All IP address are correct and I can share files between the two computers.

I can ping the IP address assigned to my computer by the ISP but I can't ping anything like www.bbc.co.uk or anything else.

A little help???????

Cheers guys.

2. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Have you set up your Internet Connection to allow Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)? It is in Control Panel/Network Connections/ then right click your internet connection and click Properties. The ICS settings are in the Advanced tab.

3. yep. I have..... and the connection says "shared

4. funny thing is, if I disconnect the ISP and run internet explorer on my laptop... the PC dials a connection....

Weird eh?

5. It's OK thanks anyway but I've solved the problem.

If you have IMesh installed and disable sharing, it stops your internet connection working......

Just to let you know incase you come across the problem again.

Rob.