Mortise douber.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was looking at it too.

Need to fit a few fire doors with 6" deep mortise locks (imperial ones).

I've seen another product which is similar buts in Australia.

On some fire doors (44mm thick) the locks aren't always fitted centrally, but know they do an offset attachment.

The only thing is the bits look expensive, a router wouldn't be able to plunge that deep.

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Looks the business. I like the fact you don't have to take the door off. As with the router

Also would be ideal for rebated doors or doors that have already been morticed.

Suppose you could make jigs but the simpler the better and makes life easy.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks good, but I only have about 8 doors to fit, then about 5 more in my house.

Its works like a router, but need a corded drill as needs speed of 3000rmp.

4. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

I've had one for a few years.

I do a lot of internal door replacements and it is part of my standard kit that I take with me.

It is very good for cutting the deep mortice to hold the body of the latch or lock. Having a choice of cutter widths ensures that I can cut the minimum width slot that will hold the lock. Bad point is that the cutter mounts onto the shaft with a screw thread which means that it gets locked on after a few cuts. My solution was to buy a few spare shafts - they are pretty cheap. Axminster stock a wide range of cutters and shafts.

The edge of the cut is not smooth enough to be on show so I use a router and jig for the shallow cut for the fore-end (or just chisel it if only doing one door).

Graham

tore81 likes this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I was thinking also that the cutting may be a bit rough, especially for the plate mount. Going to be fitting oak fire doors with 18mm lippings.

Don't have that many imperial 6" deep (151mm) to fit so am thinking whether to purchase a lock jig.

had a look at the trend adjustable one for about £91, without the plats.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've ordered this today, will be delivered on Friday.

Been fitting a 6" deep lock, and chisels weren't long enough.

tore81 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look on Ebay or car boot sales for a long mortice chisel, sadly not made today, got several of them,these chisels has a overall length of around 400mm - 500mm & were made especially for deep mortices, the blade are much heavier & longer than a bevel edge or firmer chisel.

Joe95 likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stand corrected:oops:, just found Narex list a Mortice chisel Peel chisel Extra long 390mm overall length, with a 245mm blade & available in various widths.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will only be fitting 7 imperial locks that are 6" deep, don't think I will be doing anymore.

Used a heller auger bit to remove the waste, most have taken about an hour to clear it fully, because its deep need to make sure it is drilled square onto door or lock plate wont sit square on.

Thought I would try the souber tool, need to fit 6 fire doors with concealed closed as well (barrymatic). Taken me about 2 days to remove existing lining and fit new door, really heavy, could really do with someone helping.

See how it works and can always sell on if not any good. On the lock face it may be a bit rough to use and not sure how it will cope with oak? today the first time I used the katsu to freehand trench the lock face then finished off by hand, much quicker than hand. Also did the latch plat on the lining.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The souber arrived about an hour ago.

Purchased the extension piece which.

Only opened the box but seems all well built.

Will be trying out tommorw, been waiting most of day but delivery arrived late.:(

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Where from JT how much?

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got it from MTS power tools for £119.95 inc. with 19, 22 and 25mm cutters.

tore81 likes this.
  14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Send your review when you can

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ok had a go on one lock today.

Setting up took some time. I purchased the offset attachment so had to remove the auto centralising attachment.

Used on a powerful percussion drill, a clutch would be recommend. may be ably to use an SDS drill with a 13mm chuck.

I did the lock recess with a trimmer as wasn't confidence on using the tool.

It was used with the door horizontal so meant I had to regularly remove the waste, used the hover crevice tool to get most out.

Does make quick work of it and bottoms out flat for the locks, If you are fitting a few doors in at one site then would be useful. For the 6" lock made it much faster, can see it being good with concealed closers with can be 185mm deep.

Will be using again tommorw.

Bits are really sharp so be careful when taking out of case and connecting to the rods!

KIAB likes this.
  16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Used today with door fitted.

Waste easily fell out this time, must have taken about 10 miniuts to complete a 6" lock. Normally would have taken over one hour.

17. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

So Is it as good as reviews JT. What about the finish plate. Or you hand chiselling that out.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Been hand chisel out the recess for the plates using a trimmer to get out most of the waste. Even for the lock drilling I think its worth it especially if you are fitting in locks regularly.

Working on quite expensive doors so don't want to ruin it :oops:

Has saved me a lot of time so far, fitting 7 doors in same place so is all set up, jig claps on in moments and you know that the hole will be square and true each time.

Very good built and seems solid, there is no play in the drill rod so has been machine to tight tolerances with brass insert and moves freely.

For fire doors and solid wood doors would recommend it but does require a powerful drill. I already had one. A cordless drill, I dont' wouldn't be fast and powerful enough.

The locks I have been fitting are 6" deep, so normal3" would take a lot less time to do.

One of the benefits is it can be used with the door hung, all the doors I have ever fitted get removed first then lock gets mortised out. Saved me from carrying a heavy door down two sets of stairs.

tore81 likes this.
  19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

you may as well get one :)

the only thing is the cutters aren't cheap. the jig will probably last a long time.

20. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Cheers JT It's on the list for pay day! All these toys cost a fortune