Mortiser

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dewaltdisney, Nov 20, 2003.

1. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a dedicated mortiser to suit my needs as a hobbyist level woodworker. I cannot find anything under £100 so any advice appreciated.

Muchos gracias

Walt

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

The only advise I can give is to NOT buy the mortice attachment to fit a drill press. I bought the Ferm drill & mortice attachment, when they were advertised together, only to find that it was impossible to fit. I tried every bolt combination possible for 3 days before deciding to return it. I then ordered the dedicated morticer (Ferm) & the nice Screwfix lady on the phone said that many had complained about the same thing.

3. westbrom22

westbrom22 New Member

screwfix's one is only a smidgeon over your £100 - - -£109, page 361 in 72b

4. Ilfordjedi

Ilfordjedi New Member

5. herman gelmet

herman gelmet New Member

If you are going to do a lot of morticing over the next few years try spending as much as poss. Every wobble leads to innaccuracy, and means more work later on . I got a fairly good one a couple of years ago at axminster. www.axminster etc. It was their own brand, cost around 200, and I still wish I would Have spent. Have you thought of mortice/tenon attachment for router?

6. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Depends on the money you want to spend, but i picked up a bargin on e-bay for 65.00! its worth having a look

7. harry

harry Member

check out the fox morticer at rutlands.

8. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

look 4 a second hand multico,may b a bit more dosh,but yul never regret buying big boys toys :)

9. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Thanks for your replies which was really helpful. After a lot of browsing I hit on a bargain Draper Mortiser for £99.99, which was on special offer reduced from £170 with three chisels. If any of you are interested this link is worth a look
    http://www.paintain.co.uk/morticers/morticer01.htm

Thanks Again

10. RH

RH New Member

Ages ago my local B&Q were selling off all of thier draper morticing chisels at half price, I brought a set, then got the drill attachment from draper online.

It worked out a bit cheaper than the offer above, but not by a lot. If I was buying them now I'd just get the £99.99 deal.

11. thehush

thehush New Member

I needed one too in a hurry, so tried the screwfix one ....good move on my partdoes the job pretty well in soft wood but it now sits covered in dust as the job Idid paid for a grade A version.one thing though the 16mm chisel didnt fitwell the shank on the drill was short so had too extend it. not bad runner in my opinion for the diyer/occassonal user.