Mosaic tiles in shower

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Laying floorboards onto concrete floor, May 9, 2009.

1. I want to tile shower cubicle with sheets of small glass tiles all over.
    #
    I've been told that i need to 'line' the shower before tiling with mosaic as it will let water through due to so many 'joins'.

Is this correct? and if so, what does lining mean and who do I approach to do it - a tiler or bathroom company or other?

Thanks for any views
    H

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Mosaics in a shower? :(

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

Mosaics, no problem. Best to use an epoxy grout that is waterproof. Have done it myself, an absolute pain to line up every single tile. You also need to check the porosity of the mosaics since they are often quite thin.

Having done 4 sqm on a job last year, you need to have strong willpower ;) And, apart from everything else, the cost can be outrageous!

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I think you have just shot the " pro-mosaic" argument dead imran! ;)

6. cor - you're an happy bunch!

people put mosaics in swimming pools all the time don't they?

7. GKU

GKU New Member

Swimming pools are lined with Butyl/rubber etc ;)

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

There are mosaics and mosaics. Some are fired as a single big tile with deep grout lines so the "individual" mosaic tiles can be "grouted" to make look real. Others are on web backing, some of which are quite rigid and some of which aren't.

I haven't seen a web backing yet where you don't have to straighten the tiles after fixing, and some of the tiles always fall off.... And don't forget to clean the addy out of EVERY grout line...

9. tic tic

tic tic New Member

use panels pins 2 keep ur mosaic level start at top workin down in brick effect..total b.t.h to work with but as imran says lots off dosh per m2..:) :)grout float as boxing glove..ha.ha..:)did my sis"s walls in them she didnt now if it was sweat or TEARS runnin doon ma face:)

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Of course you CAN put mosaics in a shower cubcile! I just think it's a bad idea. Fixings often move the individual mosaics, any iffy grouting will leak and all that grout will stain over time and end up looking disgusting.

Each to their own but once bitten twice shy. ;)

11. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

I'd say that if your putting mosaics in a shower cubicle then you MUST use an epoxy grout, but don't ask me to do the job!
    The ones I've seen with normal grout go manky quickly, and don't ask me to re-grout it!

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Best avoided but if you really really want to.....

13. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

im ripping more of them out than im fitting, and ive hd to address some serious dmp issues because of mosaics in the shower cubicle, but as a previous post said" you could hardibacker the cubicle first".

14. Claire Divas

Claire Divas New Member

I have seen mosaics in a shower nothing new in it... go for it:), you must approach to a good tiler to discuss in detail.