Most important attributes of an electrician

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by thebuildingexperience.com, Oct 4, 2007.

1. I've been thinking for some time about what are the most important attributes required in different construction trades. I think with some profeesions it's pretty obvious, ie to be a scaffolder you have to be very thick skinned and ridiculously rude. However i can't work out what the key attributes are required to be a succesful electrician. Is it patience, intellect, work ethic? Love to hear what you electricians think is the key?

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

A good sense of humour and a thick skin on Muppet Boards! ;)

3. X

X New Member

Love to hear what you electricians think is the key?

A * good sense of humour

[Edited by: admin11]

4. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Most important atribute is to say "thanks" for the cash

5. 2 wheeled ant

2 wheeled ant New Member

Better ask the plumbers that question

Ant

6. > A * good sense of humour

just a good one will do

7. young_spark

young_spark New Member

I would say good social skills with customer, need to be able to plan jobs out well, do a good neat job, hard working and tidy.

8. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

The ability to wield the biggest hammer and chisel known to man, cut a 4 inch wide chase when a 1 inch one will do, leave all rubbish rubble, etc where it falls for some non-existant person to clear up, and whose sole conversation begins with "have you got....? (an earth block, an earth clamp, a screwdriver, etc)

9. KidCurry

KidCurry New Member

To be honest with the customer about the work that needs doing. Watch out for the Rogue Traders cameras!!!

10. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

Not being a cant or owt and i have said here many times i dont like it when domestic house bashers get on a pedistal but if you are gonna get all your tickets the i think you have to be brighter than the other trades. Not saying bright plasterers dont exist - (on second thoughts) its just if you aint got a half decent brain you wont make the grade as a spark. Many exist who are not that bright but doubt they have 81,91 approved grading bla bla.

11. ally1957

ally1957 New Member

Good question. Without doubt the most important attribute is to have a good friend who is a lift engineer since the current trend is for all the upwardly mobile to live in overpriced river view ( tsk ) high-rise flats with only one flat pack imported piece of junk loosley classed as an elevator

12. autonull

autonull New Member

It helps if like me your a well *

13. Some interesting responses.

Autonall, i'm not sure how that helps you to be a succesfull electrician, unless of course you use your schlong to chase up the walls!

Anything else important other than a sense of humour and being brighter than the average tradesman?