Most Reliable Bathroom Fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Studentrooms, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Hi .

Need to replace a ceiling mounted, 100mm bathroom extractor fan. I use the ones with timer so they run on and get rid of the steam , but the Vent Axia don’t seem to last and aren’t cheap ..

Appreciate suggestions on cheap but reliable 100mm ceiling extractor .

Thanks

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

Manrose seem to be ok. The last vent axia fan I fitted definitely wasn't made by vent axia.

3. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Manrose and Vent Axia are both owned by the same company.

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

5. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Hmm Cheap AND reliable. Tricky.

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I've fitted cheap that have lasted a whole lot longer than expensive, but none of them seem to last more than a few years.

It's a disgrace how much built-in obsolescence there is in extractor fans! I even had one where the plastic fan was pulling itself off the axle! It was a friction/interference fit wit absolutely no notion of a key or a grub screw to hold it in place. That was an expensive fan!

Philip Hyde likes this.
  7. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Active Member

Just make sure when you buy one that it's designed for roof mounting. They use different bearings and some are only designed for wall mounting

8. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Ok , thanks.

Cheap and reliable is a bit of an ask ...

What if I ask “fit and forget, even if not the cheapest”

??
    Thanks

9. greenback78

greenback78 Member

I have 15 year old Greenwood airvacs running very well in my house and have just added one in my kitchen.

10. Grange Handyman

Grange Handyman New Member

Airflow Icon, not cheap (sorry) but good, quiet, best condensation extraction I have seen, and the inner closer ensures no back draught.

Mike58 likes this.
  11. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

I agree, good funky-looking fan. And you can customise them by adding the modules you want.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADICON30.html

Mike58 likes this.
  12. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

Seen these icon ones in quite a few pub toilets, which indicates they must be fairly reliable running long periods.

13. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

I have Icon fans at home - they look good and work well.

Friends have had a kitchen rebuilt and at the distant end where teh cooker is a large Icon have been installed followed by at least 5m of flexi duct - it works well to remove cooking smells.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

Icon fans are nice I agree, but have found the manrose mft 100 a very good inline fan would always look to fit inline fans if possible

15. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

I’m
    Going with a greenwood EL100TR ,
    £60 & 5 year warranty...

See what happens , but in-line sounds like a good plan .

Thanks