MOT DATE

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by STGO, May 11, 2006.

1. STGO

STGO New Member

hello lads/lasses, can anyone tell me if my 3.5 tonner needs MOT-ying this year, it will be one year old(aw bless) soon, i know new cars dont for three, and heavies after one year, but what of my little-un?
    thankyou for any advice

2. chemat

chemat New Member

Cant comment on the timing - but if it's got a 1-year warranty get it done BEFORE the warranty runs out. Dont make the same mistake we did (with a car - so 3yrs) - got MOT just few days outside 3yr warranty - both track rods (not the track rod ends) were comdemned (only 11k miles too!). Obviously they had been faulty (too much play) for some time (was hard to spot while driving) but Ford didnt want to know!

3. STGO

STGO New Member

thanks for that, nice little tip

4. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

find the number of VOSA for the local area and give them a ring.

5. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

If it needs an MOT, the DVLA should tell you when they sent the reminder to relicence it.

Why is it that the first MOT runs from the date of the test whereas subsequent MOTs can be done up to one month in advance and then run from the anniversary of the previous MOT. Why not allow the first MOT to be done up to one month before the third anniversary of registration (for a car) and for it to run from the anniversary?

6. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

This post made me think when my cars MOT was out and it is now 12/5/06. Buggar, was going out this weekend. Looks like us all in the wifes Fiesta.

7. STGO

STGO New Member

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha , bigplum, you make i larf, thanks everyone, will be in touch with vosa
    ciao 4 now

8. Hi Measure, you can have a 13 month MOT on a three year old car (first MOT) you always have been able to. Just take in your V5 certificate to prove date of first registration. Now we are computerised, you don't even need to do that. The system recognises the car and gives you the extra time without asking or supplying a V5 number. I know I am that MOT tester.

9. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

I was temted to take my car today, but if the MOT is out the insurance is not valid?

We went in the wifes car instead, 3 kids in a fiesta.

10. Hi BigPlum
    You are quite right:- if your MOT is out your insurance company can refuse to honour a claim on the basis that the car is unroadworthy. In practice though, the insurers will cover you third party for road risks even if you are comprehensive. The only time you are allowed to take a car on the road without an MOT is to take it to a prearranged test or prearranged repair and retest. In practice though, the old bill wouldn't be interested in a lapsed MOT unless it led them to a string of other offences (drink driving, no insurance, no license etc)
    MOT tester