Motorised valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay459, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

We have a four zone system, downstairs, upstairs, hot water and garage. The garage motorised valve has always been in the manual override position but has always worked as normal. Our horstmann h47xl 4 zone timer controlled all zones and would operate garage zone just like the others but still motorised valve in the manual ON position. They are honeywell valves.

Ive only discovered this as have upgraded to a tado smart heating system and having issues getting garage to work..and i think its to do with the valve...

I want to understand why the valve has been ON for 3 years...only thing i can think of is the garage zone never had a thermostat fitted...

2. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

I'm only a DIYer but what you say makes sense. My understanding is a stat is needed to control the temp in the garage via your zone valve, if not, manual over ride.

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

It’s working now. I put the zone to automatic and overnight it’s sorted itself. My new smart heating is now working. Only thing the spring sounds a bit knackered when valves opens, lever is bent as well..

4. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

That's good. What will control the temp of the garage?

5. Jay459

Jay459 Member

A wireless stat. Tado smart heating seemed to be a good fit for my 4 zone system.

Two wired stats for upstairs and downstairs, the tado extension kit replaced my 4 zone programmer, and it allows one wireless stat to pair to extension kit.

Technically the extension kit is dual zone but just had to hard wire upstairs and downstairs zone then hot water and garage zone to extension kit.

It has solved the problem of garage zone not having a thermostat, something I think that was forgotten when wired..