Mould in New Summerhouse.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by ozzpoz, Nov 18, 2020.

1. ozzpoz

ozzpoz Member

Hi. 1st post and after some advise please. Last month we had a summerhouse installed. We spent a little extra rather than getting a cheap off the shelf and had one made by a local company. We literally waited all summer for it and it got delivered and built on a wet October morning. And it's pretty much rained ever since. It's a 10 X 8 pressure treated 24mm log lap. Sat on bearers on top of a new 8" thick concrete base. After it was built the inside timbers felt and looked very wet., I'm not sure if that was from building in the rain or the pressure treatment. It's rained alot since it was built and it's not leaking, the outside drys quick but the insides are still quite damp and I've noticed condensation on the inside of the roof and windows. It does seem to be slowly drying as it's going green in places. , it's completely empty apart from a mirror , wooden shelf and and a picture. Now my problem is that now, them 3 items are now covered in white fluffy mould. Also there's bits of mould on the house in the areas the items were located.
    I'm assuming it's from the damp / humidity but what can I do about it. How do we get rid , And will it spread and damage the timber. In the next few weeks we're having it wired up to the Lecky and hoping to put in some rattan furniture and little electric log burner in there so we can finally have a brew and get some use out of it. The mould has really put a downer on something that I've looked forward to for so long. Not to mention missing all summer. Thanks for any advise.

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I think it just needs to dry out. Open all the windows and doors for as long as you can each day inbetween the rainy spells and it should dry out quickly enough.

ozzpoz likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy dehumidifier and humidity meter.. Start with the meter as that is cheap and will show what's going on

ozzpoz likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ventilation and air flow is needed to dry the interior out especially at this time of year, nothing serious to worry about. :)

ozzpoz likes this.
  5. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

As others have said, the mold is linked to the humidity.
    But don't mix dehumidifying with ventilation, one or the other.
    My notes on humidity might help. especially the diagram showing the repercussions of various levels of humidity, labelled 'Optimum Humidity'.
    https://community.screwfix.com/threads/humidity-in-the-home.227821/

ozzpoz likes this.
  6. ozzpoz

ozzpoz Member

Thanks for your replys, a couple of week ago I was opening the window for most of the day but I was worried I was making it worse due to the damp weather outside. So I'll start opening it up again. There are no vents in it but being only a small wooden building I thought there would be some air flow, it always seems warm inside so maybe not enough. hopefully it will dry out and be ok. I didn't realize how much moisture the pressure treated wood had in it. I presumed it would come dry. Thanks again.

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Most building suppliers store their pressure treated construction timber out in the open in closely stacked piles. As such they are pretty well saturated by the time they reach you. If you ever try doing something with the timbers other than building house carcasses or roofs, they do an enormous amount of 'moving' as they dry out.

ozzpoz likes this.