Mould resistant pvc window caulk

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bigt101, May 9, 2020.

1. Bigt101

Bigt101 New Member

What is the best sealant to use around pvc windows internally that is mould resistant and good quality. Ideally it would be great if it could be painted aswell but not essential. Don't know whether to use caulk or silicone...... Thoughts?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Polymer mastics can be painted which there are loads about now. Mould killing spray from supermarket works great and I spray and brush a bit every few weeks. You can also buy vc175 mould inhibitor and paint on the silicone which will stop the mound.

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

In addition to advise from Wayners; From your query you seem to have a damp/condensation issue in the room. If so , no product can resist mould indefinitely. Best address the underlying issue first in which case almost any decent product claiming mould resistance will work

4. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

You can't paint silicone in answer to that part of your question.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Geocel Top Gun Exterior Frame Sealant.;)

6. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

You just want a bathroom grade silicone which will be mould resistant.

Caulk is not mould resistant and should not be used in wet areas.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

...the brief said 'It would be great if it could be painted', silicone and paint don't get on to well.

8. Bigt101

Bigt101 New Member

They don't, but it doesn't mean that you can't get products that can be... I just wondered if people could of commented first hand on products that they use.. I have come across items like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk › GORIL...
    Web results
    GORILLA GLUE 1144200 Paintable Sealant White 265ml: Amazon.co.uk .

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-t...8o3uOXAphiGDZMuLXhUxW-Nd3vD6ABzBoCuEsQAvD_BwE

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

They have!
    Wayners and Astramax have both recommended products that they use professionally and other techniques that will help. Whilst mould resistant silicone is great you cannot paint it (at the risk of repeating posters above) so it is the wrong answer to your question.

You can spend the rest of the lockdown searching for and finding products that might do what you want, offer them as potentials on here and see if any of us have used them or you can save us all a lot of time and investigate the answers you've already been given.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have done that as has Wayners, the answers given ticked all the boxes clearly and precisely. :rolleyes:

11. Bigt101

Bigt101 New Member

I agree guys cheers

WillyEckerslike likes this.