Mould under bathroom sealant - have removed, cleaned, but some mould remains

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Johnpg, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Hi there,

I've got the usual problem of bathroom mould, but I'm trying to ascertain what my options are. The mould leaked out of shower cubicle and infected an MDF skirting board. I've ripped out the board, removed all the silicone from the shower, and have cleaned out as much of the mould as possible using black mould remover.

I'm about to reapply the silicone, but some areas of black mould still remain, and I absolutely cannot clean them. I'm also assuming that the mould has probably travelled underneath the shower tray.

What are my options here? If I properly waterproof the shower with new silicone, and give the space plenty of air and drying time, will the mould I haven't cleaned die off and keep the new silicone in tact?

Thanks!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you’ve used a mould cleaner/remover/ which tend to be bleach based - or simply use household bleach to clean, then the mould should be killed off

The black marks remaining are likely to be staining from the mould, not actual living/breathing mould (unless you have a super mutated variety in your bathroom :eek:)

What surfaces are these marks on though ?

If glazed tiles then I’m surprised the marks can’t be removed with bleach and ‘elbow grease’

Shower tray ? Acrylic or stone resin or porcelain ?

If acrylic / plastic / stone / these are slightly porous so staining can happen, also if textured, more likely

But again, bleach and scrubbing may finally remove marks and a final wash down with soapy water and/or bathroom cleaner

If really stained though, but mould has been killed off, new silicone over the top should be fine

Just ensure surfaces are clean, dry, and all traces of old silicone removed

A silicone eater is good here for removing stubborn remaining bits, followed by a quality silicone, finished with a profile tool - not a finger shoved in your gob to moisten :mad:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/88987

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-785n-sanitary-sealant-white-310ml/800fg

This is a good product for keeping the nasty stuff away and general bathroom/shower cleaning - the best I've tried

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk...MI8Nnav7Ks6gIVyu7tCh3FIgR_EAQYASABEgIMnfD_BwE

(Price seems to have risen sharply since this covid business though)

Bob87 likes this.
  3. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Thanks, Dave, appreciate that response, mate. By what you've said, it sounds like the remaining mould is actually just staining, because it's only affecting the grouted areas. That's reassuring to hear. I've since wiped down everything with spirits and reapplied a high quality mould resistant silicone. I went with the Unibond one, I didn't see your link before, but I did get the sealant remover, too, which is bloody good. Did use a profile, tool, too. Way nice finish!

Thanks again mate