Mounting board for a consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bristolkid45, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bristolkid45

bristolkid45 New Member

Hi guys, i need to mount a consumer unit on a large board.
    What do you favour as a mounting board, could I use a large peice of MDF or is this classed as combustible. I was considering using some of the aqua board stuff that you can get.
    Any replies would be much appreciated.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Mount it on whatever you like, plywood, chipboard, mdf, plasterboard etc. You're not expecting to get flames out of the back of your c/unit are you!   Personaly I prefer to attach them straight onto the wall.

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It is an accessory just like your sockets and switches and can be mounted on what ever you want.  I too prefer direct to the wall.

Older consumer units such as the old wylexs used to have an open back and hard wood wooden frame.  You could get a thin plastic panel for the rear if you were mounting it on a combustable surface.

4. wally

wally Screwfix Select

About 25 years ago I did about 20 odd properties, a stable block conversion & the mains were mostly in walk in cupboards with consumer units mounted at eye level & consisted of 2 consumer units, contactors & on & off peak heating (the on peak being on a dual clock).   I mounted the lot on an MDF or chipboard back which went up to ceiling level.    All cables came down the back & through the back of the board.    Not a cable showing including the meter tails.    It looked rather neat, even cut to the slope of the ceiling/stars.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Ply is best if not fixing direct to a smooth level plasterboard wall.

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Hmmmm will have to agree with that 100%..its what I use and always will. Sometimes I run it on batons..;)

7. Nigel Vaughan

Nigel Vaughan New Member

I often use plastic trunking because it cannot be eaten by anything, or conduct anything, AND means you can bring everything in the back of the board, hence you maintain the IP rating of the board and customers cannot drop things in it!

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

What a lash up that looks JP!

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

11. Brown

Brown Guest

do u not buy u meter boards from the wholesalers.or u jst use wot ever use have spare in ur van?

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

There's a 'pidgin' in the house!

13. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Its the new language Sine..it unifies fettler to southern English.

14. spark111

spark111 New Member

Wood poses a very low risk of combustion and therefore meets the ignitability requirements of BS 7671 but some varnishes and polishes on antique accessories are combustible and therefore not appropriate. Always a contensous issue this, if it was me I would use fire resistant MDF if i had to mount on wood.

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

What sort of heat is generated by a DB in normal operation?

Any old lump of wood is suitable tbqh but 18mm MDF does give a nice flat surface to mount the DB on. Lets face facts half the cases of misaligned and scrunged badly fitting lids/cases is caused by mounting onto an lets just say an irregular wall.

;)