Mounting smart home tablet above light switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dave Clarke, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

Hi,

I am looking at mounting a tablet above a light switch to control various smart home features.

There is no sensible socket nearby to take a spur from to power the tablet, and was contemplating taking a feed from the light switch. The house is a very recent new build (2021) and looks to have a neutral in the backbox.

The plan would be to cut a new back box into the wall higher up and pass a twin/earth to the light switch below. The new back box would house a USB transformer / faceplate.

I have a few questions:

1. Can someone confirm the blue/grey are both neutral? I presume the grey is the neutral to the ceiling rose?
    2. Is it legal/safe to take a spur from these feeds to power a tablet?
    3. Is there anything specific I need to do to ensure this meets current regulation?

Many thanks,

Dave

[​IMG]

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Mind the wires in the plaster! Don't feed it off the lighting circuit, do the job right.

3. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

Thanks - it's a dot and dab wall so should be alright locating any cabling.

I'd usually do something like this from a socket below, but in this case there's no socket nearby and it's on the ground floor so no straightforward access from above either. Are there any regulatory restrictions from wiring this from the switch?

I've seen other posts about adding a 13A socket from a switch which has obvious issues given the 6A breaker for a lighting circuit, but given the USB transformer would only consume around 2A are there any other issues here?

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

5. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Why not? It's very common for low current devices like smoke and burglar alarms, extractor fans etc to be on a lighting circuit, what's wrong with this?

Dave Clarke and Bazza like this.
  8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Don’t get misled. The 2A is the current on the USB (5volt) side. The current drawn from the (mains) lighting circuit will be very small.

Dave Clarke likes this.
  9. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

Thanks all

Can anyone explain to me what the wire between COM and L2 achieves?

The switch is two gang, with one of the switches controlling an outdoor light and the other controlling the stairs light which has a second switch upstairs.

10. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Its the permanent feed to the outside light switch.

11. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

Thanks! Step one done... Awaiting delivery of the mount so have blanked it off for the time being!

[​IMG]

12. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Looks neat, well done.

Dave Clarke likes this.
  13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I think you may find it has a 13A 'wall wart' plug on it, that might be an issue.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Really? Most tablets have USB as standard.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  15. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

Hi Bob. This plan is to hardwire it in via a small transformer in the back box, so no 13a sockets around for someone to plug something in to...

It'll be something like this:
    [​IMG]

16. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

That product looks like it's designed for US socket back boxes. Does the product have a CE mark?

17. Dave Clarke

Dave Clarke New Member

Sorry, that was just an example. I haven't yet ordered that part.

18. Azzhink

Azzhink New Member

Hi mate, i am looking to do the same thing, did you complete this yet and if so what parts did you use and where to buy. Could you add some pictures? Is you house from Avant? I have the same door on my newbuild. Thanks